Thater brushes - any retailers in EU?

Well I can't judge it against any Thater 2 band obviously but I've used this 3 band today for the first time and it's wonderful, really good strong backbone which I'd happily use on hard soap and yet very soft tips, it's bloomed from a little tightly packed round bulb into an enormous, thick bushier round bulb but it's still perfectly formed. It lathered a TOBS cream beautifully into the thickest creamiest shave lather I've ever used.

I'll try to get pictures up when I can.

obduliovarela said:
Dipesh said:
I been using one of my smaller Thater's this week. It's a 3 band one. I must say, it's one of the finest brushes out there.

Your making a good choice!

Dipesh:
What's your view on the Thater 3-band hair? I have read mixed opinions on it, but still keen to try...

IMO it's a very high quality hair. The softest hair you can get in a brush from all the brushes I have used.

It's totally scritchless. Like a ball of cotton wool. It's just an awesome feel from the hair and well worth having. I have 2 3 band brushes and love them a lot. 2 band isn't too bad either.

Dipesh said:
obduliovarela said:
Dipesh said:
I been using one of my smaller Thater's this week. It's a 3 band one. I must say, it's one of the finest brushes out there.

Your making a good choice!

Dipesh:
What's your view on the Thater 3-band hair? I have read mixed opinions on it, but still keen to try...

IMO it's a very high quality hair. The softest hair you can get in a brush from all the brushes I have used.

It's totally scritchless. Like a ball of cotton wool. It's just an awesome feel from the hair and well worth having. I have 2 3 band brushes and love them a lot. 2 band isn't too bad either.

Dipesh: Sorry I mis-typed :huh::huh:, I already have 2 Thaters in 3-band, wanted to ask about the 2-band:icon_sad:

I have bought 7 Thäters in 2012, and now own 5 - sold 2 of the 7.

As a face lather guy with very hard water in my area, I prefer a softer brush with some backbone.
Thäters IMHO is like a soft sponge on your skin, for my personal preference it's too soft and mushy.

I can imagine it being better suited for bowl/scuttle latherers.
If you face lather, you ned soft water to make a Thäter work.

I own both their 2-bands and 3-bands and in bulb and fan shapes.
The fan shaped Thäters, even in 2-band splays and blooms like no tomorrow - even a 26 mm fan 2-band splays more than my Rooney Heritage 3XL 30 mm fan did, in my view an absurde soft splay. I sold the brush.

I'm not a big Thäter fan - i love their handles, but to me honestly my MÜHLE 3-band Silvertips are a little bit better than any of my 7 Thäters. And people often call MÜHLE 3-band Silvertip floppy. But once the talk starts on Thäters, they are all of a sudden called luxurious velvet soft with lots of backbone.

I have bought 2 Thäters from German vendors, and 5 Thäters from US vendors - so all over the map and sizes ranging from 23 mm to 28 mm in 2-band, 3-band, bulb and fan shape. Wood handle, plexiglas handle, faux ivory, Black and imitation horn.

They all lack backbone - not saying they are bad brushes, they are probably and obviously excellent for some - but I don't see what they have over my MÜHLE 3-band Silvertip Sophist White Porcelaine brush to be quite honest......I just can't see it.
I prefer my MÜHLE slightly over any of me Thäters - and MÜHLE brushes are never talked about on the forums as anything special, just an ordinary floppy brush that comes with from a suppliers of razors and synthetic brushes :dodgy:

The Thäter 2-band is softer than most other 3-band, and their 3-band is almost ridiculously soft, and not suited for face lathering unless your water is extremely soft.

I will not be buying more Thäters - not my cup of tea.
I spend $1.500 to find that out, lesson learned I guess :icon_razz:

Thater brushes lacking backbone? Well, that sounds quite a strange remark to me. I don't know for how long and how many times you have used your many Thater brushes, but my 4125/3 Silvertip is in use for now a year and it is the most balanced brush I have seen among the ones I have with that knot size, with great backbone (not excessive). The same can be said for the 4125/1, which I have now used a dozen times and has actually even a bit more backbone that the bigger brush (most likely due to the shorter loft I guess). I do have a Muhle Silvertip with porcelain handle and it has considerably less backbone (quite floppy indeed, although less than a Vulfix)

That's a very good site, but unless you can order those Thater brushes with much a much lower loft I don't see the point in odering them, huge loft heights most over 60mm like a big old floppy paint brush.

Jamie

pugh-the-special-one said:
That's a very good site, but unless you can order those Thater brushes with much a much lower loft I don't see the point in odering them, huge loft heights most over 60mm like a big old floppy paint brush.

Jamie

it's very true that the choice is unfortunately quite limited, but the Thater I have (22mm and 26mm regular knots) are not floppy at all, they are quite firm and the bloom has been pretty minimal on those. Would be curious to see what happens with the bigger knots (30mm and above, although I'm not a big fan of those

Just to visualize the concept above

0003yg.jpg

The 26mm knot that I'm now in posession of is not remotely floppy, and certainly nothing like a paintbrush. Plenty enough stiffness.

CHSeifert is right to compare the Muhle Sophist 3 band porcelain though, I've also got one and it's got a lot of similarity to the Thater. I still happen to prefer the Thater, it's a little more luxurious although on balance of how much each one cost me, the Muhle is better value.

Anyway I don't care. I wanted a Thater handle and I have one, so ya boo!

Looking at them along side the Chubby 2, which I class as a large brush the middle brush would be far to big for my liking, and because I cannot see a 22mm knot with a loft well over 50mm suiting me as I have a Chubby 1 in super and that's probably my perfect size brush, as I own a M7 LE with a 24 knot and a loft of 50mm and find that a little soft even though it's really densely packed, but we are all very different tastes.

Jamie

pugh-the-special-one said:
Looking at them along side the Chubby 2, which I class as a large brush the middle brush would be far to big for my liking, and because I cannot see a 22mm knot with a loft well over 50mm suiting me as I have a Chubby 1 in super and that's probably my perfect size brush, as I own a M7 LE with a 24 knot and a loft of 50mm and find that a little soft even though it's really densely packed, but we are all very different tastes.

Jamie

I also have a preference for smaller knots. You also need to take into consideration the different shape (bulb vs quasi-fan for the chubby), most of the hair in the bulb knot is actually much shorter and I think makes a large brush more user-friendly. I find the large thater much easier to use and pleasant than the chubby2 for example (the latter is probably too dense and also the fan shape probably suits smaller knots better, but you are right, it is just a matter of taste... and lathering technique!). The 22mm brush should have a 50mm loft, but again, this applies only to the hair in the middle

Back
Top Bottom