The day the music died

Yesterday was the 56 anniversary of the day Buddy Holly, JP "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Riitchie Valens died in a plane crash in Iowa...3 February 1959. Spent the day listening to their music and to Don McLean's "American Pie". This music still grabs me today and much more so than rock from any other era.

Rufus said:
Yesterday was the 56 anniversary of the day Buddy Holly, JP "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Riitchie Valens died in a plane crash in Iowa...3 February 1959. Spent the day listening to their music and to Don McLean's "American Pie". This music still grabs me today and much more so than rock from any other era.

Hi there,

What's nuts is I had just finished listening to that song after reading various articles about that crash.

This song could have easily been written by Dylan or Phil Ochs. Same sorta obscure lyrics that you kinda think you get. As good as any folk-like master works by any artist. Don McLean really outdid himself.

Here's a good version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Y_XRiJsCI

This is just him with a six string and it's not boring.....heh.

Historians among us may be able to prove the timing of my memory as false but -

I was in China during the Cultural Revolution - or not long after it, maybe - and a bunch of us were ashore in the Sailors' Mission, the only bright lights in town. I selected 'American Pie' on the jukebox/video machine and while the music played it showed a movie of a line of kneeling Vietcong being executed by pistol shots to the backs of their heads. I think it was a man in American combat uniform pulling the trigger. I well remember my shock and outrage at being so gratuitously exposed to such violent propaganda.

I kept my Little Red Book for decades after that visit to China - the only colour in the vast greyness of China as it was then - well, whichever port we were in, anyway. Hearing the song always refreshes that memory - proving that shock propaganda does indeed make an impression and distorts experience.

I like the song and I also like Don Mclean, but for me a more poignant track is Vincent about the Dutch painter Vincent Van Gough, I cannot believe Kirk Douglas didn't pick up an Oscar for his portrayal of Vincent Van Gough in the film a Lust for life what a great film and equally great performance.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/oxHnRfhDmrk[/video]

Indeed a great song. My favourite hearing of American Pie was at Fremont Street, Las Vegas. Walking through all of a sudden they dimmed the lights, even the Golden Nugget sign. They had a over head screen going and it was blasting out. A real crowd pleaser and a fantastic atmosphere

Bechet45 said:

I was in China during the Cultural Revolution - or not long after it, maybe - and a bunch of us were ashore in the Sailors' Mission, the only bright lights in town. I selected 'American Pie' on the jukebox/video machine and while the music played it showed a movie of a line of kneeling Vietcong being executed by pistol shots to the backs of their heads. I think it was a man in American combat uniform pulling the trigger. I well remember my shock and outrage at being so gratuitously exposed to such violent propaganda.

I kept my Little Red Book for decades after that visit to China - the only colour in the vast greyness of China as it was then - well, whichever port we were in, anyway. Hearing the song always refreshes that memory - proving that shock propaganda does indeed make an impression and distorts experience.

I was working in Hong Kong (my place of birth) during the early years (1967-1970)of the Cultural Revolution and I still have my Little Red Book and the shirt pocket version thereof. I also still have my "Our Hong Kong" tie, which was brought out in limited numbers as a momento of the Cultural Revolution. Went back to China last year, first time since 1970, and wow, what a change. For some reason when I applied for my visitor's visa I got a real grilling at the visa office over my birth in HK and my other going ons in the late 1960's. My apologies for the major digression, but Bechet45 struck a chord.

Bechet45 said:

Rufus said:
I was working in Hong Kong (my place of birth) during the early years (1967-1970)of the Cultural Revolution and I still have my Little Red Book and the shirt pocket version thereof. I also still have my "Our Hong Kong" tie, which was brought out in limited numbers as a momento of the Cultural Revolution. Went back to China last year, first time since 1970, and wow, what a change. For some reason when I applied for my visitor's visa I got a real grilling at the visa office over my birth in HK and my other going ons in the late 1960's. My apologies for the major digression, but Bechet45 struck a chord.

great insight, thanks very much for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom