The New Cobra: The King Cobra

jds said:
but will have to see price point before I decide to add to my collection.

$239.99 before P&P, then there's possible customs to take into account but the Cobra Classic is one of my favourite razors. Am I looking to buy one? Maybe.

Here's a link to the vendors site.
http://int.classicshaving.com/the-king-cobra-classic.html

Scott.

Way way over priced and not the best engineered piece of kit I've ever seen have a look where the razor as been taken apart, just take a look at the poor craftsmanship brass screw fixing the handle together just move your eyes over the razor and the finish it looks pretty rough to be honest I would expect the same quality as the Feather D2 for such a price the Cobra looks like a cheap piece of tat you would find in some outdoor market. PS If I were a single blade user I would pray for Feather to design and bring out a single blade razor to accommodate their Pro Blade man now that's a razor I would love to see.

Have to say that I love my original - even though it's overpriced and poor quality in terms of the design of the blade holder. However, I reckon the new model will be very difficult to get hold of for many months.

Jamie - if only Feather would produce something along these lines - it would be good.

Last year sometime, I saw a mock-up of an alternative razor intended for use with Feather blades - it differed from the Cobra in that it didn't have a drop down blade holder. I've no idea where it is in terms of development but it looked a very good design.

The handle seems to be part of a trend towards softer grips. I've noticed that there has also been a growth in stainless steel handles with improved grip. So I'm wondering if manufactureres are moving away from chrome handles.

Greetings

Way beyond my price range I'm afraid and even if I could afford one I would not buy one because IMHO the price is a complete joke; absolutely outrageous, especially for a razor that can hardly be described as a masterpiece of engineering.

What I find amazing is that this razor has already sold out!

Regards
Dick.

Those pictures aren't flattering are they? It does have a 'Parker' look to it - a cheap n' nasty Parker knock-off look. Amazing what a fancy name, plenty of hype, the promise of posh Feather SE blades and an exclusive price tag can do. Looking at those photographs, I wouldn't give you the price of tea and a slice for it! I'd be thinking that Yuma had upped the their quality control a tiny fraction and brought out a deluxe SE model. Looks like it was made at the Piaggio factory on a particularly hot, Friday afternoon by a bored apprentice.....
shaking_head.gif

I'll stick to vintage Gillette DEs.

The original found a nice little niche for itself, and is a very good razor. The new one, however, seems to be a step, perhaps even a leap, backwards.

Ian

I have to admit I have always wanted to try the original Cobra, because if it shaves as good as it looks it would be worth saving for one. But this King Cobra just looks wrong it has lost the looks of the original and gained nothing but extra to buy, (why I don't know maybe because they know people will pay for "new better Cobra"?).
I agree with Ian this is a step back it just looks cheap.
But as always its just my opinion and obviously as it sold out very quickly many people disagree with me.

Be interesting to see how many of these start filtering through to the second hand market over the next few months. The originals have certainly proved to be keepers for those of us fortunate enough to get one, however somehow I'm not really feeling the love for this highly priced version.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

One of my pals bought the new king and he kindly gave me a go over the weekend. It's a hefty thing for sure but I liked the weight. As for the quality, I'd have to agree with most that the older Classic appears better made.

As for the shave...compared to my Classic & IMO I was a little disappointed. It's certainly a touch smoother than the classic but I'd say it was a good bit less aggressive and thus I'd needs a little more practise before it comes close to the classic in terms of passes v BBS.

I scratched the itch though!

Back
Top Bottom