The "uber-razors"

The bug has got me again and I'm wondering about getting along the lines of a Feather, Ikon or PILS. What do they offer that an everyday Merkur, Jagger etc or a vintage Gillette don't? Is it just knowing you have a solid steel razor, or is there something more to it than that?

TBH I have my "holy grail" razor (a 1901 Gem Junior Bar) but what can I say? RAD is a blessing and a curse.

The heft finish and feel of Ikons and the Feather are just great - I've never used a PILS so can't comment on them I'm afraid.

I've got a number of Vintage Gillette's an R41 head and three Merkur slants in my collection, and the Stainless razors add something to the equation I couldn't do without tbh.

Helveticum said:
If you want an uber-razor, get a GEM open comb Micromatic. It's not solid still, but there's much more to it.

P.S. GEM is a Harley then ;)

I have a open comb Micromatic, and the Clog Pruf, and the Bullseye. The first two in particular are lovely razors. I think they are more like old sports cars, fun to drive, but handle with care!

You make me think I don't need an Ikon/Feather at all... But I hear it calling to me...

There is little doubt that the finish on an iKon is lovley, especially the high polish finish.

But I have been there, done that and worn the T shirt and now have reverted back to a couple of 1940's Gillettes married to modern handles.

They do the job better than the iKon for a fraction of the cost.

No-one buys those razors for the shaves they deliver. If anyone says they do then I reckon they are simply trying to justify the ridiculous price they paid for just another razor.

BUT ... they are absolutely brilliant for the one-upmanship that is essential on all shaving forums. You post a picture in the SOTD thread, someone says 'nice razor' and you get a warm feeling in your tummy.

They are like having a custom bespoke suit made. Pils. ikon & Feather.

The care & attention that has gone into these is in my own opinion cannot get any better. From the design to the materials used, the manufacturing and the it & finish is top notch. And as for fit for purpose these are among the very best, of course their are other razors out there that can do the job.

These three (3) razors will always be on the wanted list: and rightly so ........

Charles U.K

joe mcclaine said:
No-one buys those razors for the shaves they deliver. If anyone says they do then I reckon they are simply trying to justify the ridiculous price they paid for just another razor.

Well, I haven't got iKon or Feather, but Weber does shave much better than any other DE I've tried, so there is some more value than just that steel.

I think all these posts have covered all the necessary ground. It's in the nature of RAD to get what appeals to the heart rather than the head... you have to go with what appeals at the time and if it ends up unloved at the back of a drawer then you eventually sell it on to someone who will be more enthusiastic.
I'm currently into vintage razors and tend to agree with Father Ted. I'm going to try out my Tech with a Bulldog handle and see what happens from the shaving perspective (although from the aesthetic perspective I prefer to use the original handle)
But I can also see the appeal of a shiny modern razor... currently waiting (that's an understatement) for a Weber polished head.
I think your itch won't be scratched until you've tried a Feather/Ikon/Pils... and how about Tradere or Titan? I tend to fancy a Feather myself... I suspect it will be the law of diminishing returns and it won't be several times better than an EJ... but you're back to the Ford/BMW thing. Sometimes it's just the joy of owning something classy

I can't/won't afford a Rolls Royce, BMW, Mercedes de dah in my garage but I can afford to have all the top-notch all stainless razors in my cabinet. They are all beautifully made and finished and I love handling them and frinicking them. I have a couple of artisan stainless handles and a couple of stainless heads to put on them, as well.

These razors shave like no others - not necessarily better than another excellent shaver, but their weight, heft and design just plain feel so good in use and on my skin. Critically for me, they all have a long handle available - vintage razors lack this.

The place to start is undoubtedly with a Weber - best shave going and a very reasonable price. After that, practicality goes out the window and pure pleasure - of ownership, of handling a beautifully crafted piece - is what it is about.

Sell my not oft used stainless razors? If ever I get poor enough! I'd happily PIF my GEMs and other vintage razors to make room for more stainless ones.

Back
Top Bottom