Thinking about a Chubby 1

Hi all,

After trying a Simfix Chubby 2 in Best, I found the brush too large and too soft for me. I'm a face latherer and was hoping the Chubby would be more scrubby. It was when new, but soon softened up after a few uses.

So, I'm still intrigued by the Chubby, and feel I should have gone for the CH1.

I presume the CH1 would be more scrubby due to its shorter loft?

Also, I'm not sure whether to go for Best or Super. My previous Best was incredibly soft after break in, I certainly don't want any softer than that. Will the Super be firmer than the Best, with softer tips? I want firm shafts with soft tips, I presume Simpsons' current Best grade isn't as firm as the Super?

Anyone own (or has used) a SImfix Chubby 1 in both Best and Super who could comment on how they compare?

Many thanks!

John

John, I've had a Simfix Duke 2 in best for a while. It took a bit of time to work properly but I like it now. It hasn't lost a hair but that may be pot luck.

Pete

I have a CH2 B, CH2 S, CH2 2B ...the Super has finer hair , is denser and therefore scrubbier. Whether it's firm enough I cannot say, you are really describing the qualities of a 2 band brush. I also have a CH1 B which not radically firmer than it's bigger brother despite it's shorter loft.

There is a PG 2 band for sale on B&B, if you're after scrubby and a smaller knot than a CH2.

Unfortunately it is now gone.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113041</a><!-- m -->

Well, I took the plunge and acquired a CH1 in Super.

Nothing prepared me for the dramatic difference in size to the Chubby 2. It's tiny! Very cute - although I'm concerned the handle may be a bit too small. We'll see....

Initial test latherings impressed the back of my hand - very dense, very stiff and a lovely massage, much more so than my old CH2 in Best.

It has shed 12 hairs already, and the sticker has come off (hey, maybe it's an original Simpsons?! Hehe).

I do wonder about the quality control of the English brushes at the moment... My Savile Row Silvertip cost £70, has not shed a single hair, and looks like it stepped out of a very expensive salon.

My recent Rooney, Chubby and Tulip 2 look like they've had rushed home haircuts by comparison!

Not what you expect from £100+ brushes.

John

Back
Top Bottom