Toners, aftershaves and aftershave lotion.

Could someone explain to me what a toner is, how to use it and a good product that I could try out. Also can anyone recommend an aftershave balm that's good for sensitive skin and stops it becoming dry, It could be the shaving cream I'm using but I'm a bit skint so can't experiment as i'd like to. Also can someone tell what aftershave is actually for, how to use it and a good brand to buy. I know they contain alcohol, some people say this is bad to apply to the skin after shaving but i saw a video recently where a traditional knowledgeable straight barber used it and said if used right it can be good. I've been shaving with a DE for about a month now and just had the best shave iv'e ever had I'd still hope to improve it. I doubt i could have achieved this without the help of this forum and matics vids so cheers :)

i use witch hazel as a toner and occasionally as an aftershave. It works well in either capacity.

it's a natural astringent (e.g. breaks down oils and stops your skin feeling greasy) and its good for closing down pores and improving the overall tonality of your face. Hence why it's called a toner. This is basically what toners do. close pores, degrease the skin and improve skin tone. Clinique do scruffing lotions that are toners, but they are a bit aggressive IMHO and irritate my skin.

ive used this stuff for years now:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/STRICTLY-PROFESSIONAL-WITCH-HAZEL-150ML/dp/B003AYGN0O/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1303939484&sr=8-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/STRICTLY-PROFES ... 84&sr=8-11</a><!-- m -->

i go through one of those small bottles every couple of months... eventually i changed to buying a 1litre bottle and decanting into the smaller one.

as for balms.. i like cliniques post shave soother... it does a good job but is on the pricier side. For a cheaper solution the nivea stuff gets good reviews here, but i never got on with it. I find it too greasy, and it still annoys my skin after a shave. What i end up using instead is Taylor of old bond street jermyn collection moisturising cream. Its a nice light, well scented moisturiser with aloe vera in it. As a result its great for soothing post shave, it gives no irritation at all and smells great.

I occasionally use aftershaves too. But depends on mood. They are far more drying, and always cause at least a little burn, but sometimes its quite pleasant and leaves me feeling refreshed and awake.

I normally start with a rub of an alum block. This closes any small weepers, and will give you an immediate feedback if you where a little rough on your skin during shaving ;) I tend to feel it to a smaller or lesser degree.

After this I use Thayers medicated wicth hazel, and it works very well. It contains a little alcohol, but other variants of Thayers are without alcohol. It has a faint scent just when you apply it, but it disappears within a few minutes. I buy mine from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vitacost.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vitacost.com</a><!-- m -->, and it is quite cheap. The bottle I bought have lasted me a full year of daily use!

After that I normally use an alcohol based aftershave splash. I like D.R. Harris Sandalwood in particular because of the scent, and because of the efficacy, which I find unparalleled. Mind you though, I haven't tried that many. Professor Blightys aftershaves are also very good, and very reasonably priced. They come both as alcohol based splashes, which hazel based splashes, and after shave balms. Send him a PM on here, and he'll sort you out. His service is top of the line.

Some times even even after all of this, I will still feel what I used to describe as "dryed out skin". I now know this is razor burn... The solution here for me is to accept it :shock: I know, i'm going to get my wrists slapped properly for saying so, but the alternative (a less close shave) is not acceptable for me. I like the feel of a close shave, and mine is not even perfect, as in BBS, or what ever you call it. So for me its the acceptable trade off. The general consensus though, seems to be to accept a less close shave.

If I feel in the evening, that a little extra care should be given to my skin in preparation for next mornings shave, I use Professor Blighty's Yellow Unction, which simply is a miracle moisturizer. It moisturizes and heals the skin like nothing else I have ever tried. I know someone had the Professor prepare an unscented version for him, so you could inquire about the same.

/Max

Back
Top Bottom