Tried an open comb today - Nice!

A good place to ask my question.

Seems there are two sorts of New combs - the common one as in BazC's photo and one I've seen much less often - and want to buy - as in this photo....

193020Belmont.jpg

Do they each have their own names? How does one differentiate verbally? During which period were they produced?

I'm after a three piece with the shallower New head. Anyone got one or two for sale?

OK - four questions.

Johnus said:
They are great razors. My favorite is the pre and WW1 '04's .
If you want to experiment I had read that the 'tracks' that the teeth leave on the lather is an indication of if your holding the razor at the correct angle? Believe that if there's tracks than the angle is off. As you can see I just hold mine so it feels good and shaves!:)-)

As the blade follows the comb when shaving, I guess there should not be tracks - however, as the comb follows the blade on the reverse stroke of buffing, you can leave tracks and buff forever-ish.

Bechet45 said:
As the blade follows the comb when shaving, I guess there should not be tracks

You guess correct sir. Tracks are a sure sign of incorrect angle, not sure it was "designed in" for that purpose but the tracks do give that clue. We've all had them at some point with an open comb.

I do like an open comb, there is a lot to be said for that much blade exposure. Kind of challenging to start with, and then a little bit purist once you get used to it after what, half a dozen shaves? Lovely.

Bechet45 said:

Seems there are two sorts of New combs - the common one as in BazC's photo and one I've seen much less often - and want to buy - as in this photo....

Do they each have their own names? How does one differentiate verbally? During which period were they produced?

I'm after a three piece with the shallower New head. Anyone got one or two for sale?

OK - four questions.

Johnus said:
They are great razors. My favorite is the pre and WW1 '04's .

What's doin Carl,

Now it's been a long time since going through my open comb period, but I believe what you got there in the pic is a razor with a Norfolk type head. It's not as common as the heads seen on most Tuckaways and the many other variations (names only) of that model. I forget the head name but you could look it up. It's got that odd flat baseplate to it. I'm thinking maybe NEW Deluxe or something like that.

Hah, it's no wonder Johnus likes those things.........they're real bloodsucking bastards. Just about as much bite as the Old Type head, which he loves. Nice thing about the Norfolks and the one in the pic is they're weighted and balanced pretty well.

Heh, I had a chromium plated set that I just could not enjoy a shave with. Sold it to a buddy of mine and it's one of his favorite razors. Go figure.

Martin

Oh, I do have a silver Tuckaway in good shape if that was what you're after.

Couple pics of the Deluxe set I sold. It's either a NEW or Norfolk....can't rermember. Forgot the date as well. Sheeesh. That chromium plating really was shiny!

Attachments

• deluxe 001 (Small).jpg
    deluxe 001 (Small).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 15
  • deluxe 002 (Small).jpg
    deluxe 002 (Small).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 20
  • deluxe 003 (Small).jpg
    deluxe 003 (Small).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 16
  • deluxe 004 (Small).jpg
    deluxe 004 (Small).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 14
Bechet45 said:

This thread may be of some help in identifying the different types of NEW head Carl: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/293853-The-Gillette-New-British-vs-American

I've got some 7 O'Clock's that I planning to sell at some stage in the near future (one of them is pictured in the thread I've linked above). Let me know if that's the type of head you are after and I'm sure that we can work something out. :)

[/quote]

Ahem! Sorry! I mislead you all with that picture of a Belmont DeLuxe - which has a barrel and long screw thread and base plate permanently fixed to the handle. It is the shape of the teeth I was trying to point out.

You have it in one, Martin- except you went and sold it already!!

What a thread at B&B, Andy! So now I know there are not merely two types. The teeth in your photos are not what I'm looking for. The heads in xillion's photos are taken from vertically above so it is very difficult to discern the shape of the teeth. Near as I can see, what I'm looking for is a New Improved, a New DeLuxe, a Goodwill or a US short comb New.

What I will call 'an ordinary New' has an almost 90 deg bend in the teeth, rounded on the outside but quite angular on the inside. The teeth I'm looking for do not - they are bent muich less acutely and are shorter - I guess New Improved.

New Improved must refer to New being an Improvement on Old heads rather than what I had understood - confusing myself - the New Improved referred to second generation New, an Improvement on the (original) New.

So I'm looking for short comb News or New Improveds - I think. Three piece razors wherein the handle separates completely from the head.

Anyone still here?

Tall_Paul said:
How aggressive do you want it to be Carl?

I have quite a few different types of New and by far the most aggressive is the Bostonian.

What a very good point! Hadn't even considered it! I guess my answer is that I don't mind - at this stage, anyway. I just wanna get my hands on a head with the right shaped teeth - so I can more easily recognise one if I see it on ebay or buy from TSR members having posted a photo.

I have a serious itch about this! Bugging me! I, who said I'd never get into vintage razors, couldn't see the point! Hah!

Bechet45 said:
I have a serious itch about this! Bugging me! I, who said I'd never get into vintage razors, couldn't see the point! Hah!

What's doin Carl.

Here's a few pics of a Tuckaway in the arsenal.........no date 1928 version maybe. It's overall in good shape, with the plating intact and straight teeth. Handle has a few small cracks but it's quite stable, so no worries there. Heh, you can see some tarnish, which is because I'm too lazy to clean it right now. Yeah, silver shines up real nice and it will look lots better after some attention.

The case should also clean up fine from what I can see...........never tried it.

Let me know if this thing appeals to you and we can work something out if it does.

Martin

Attachments

• 1928 Tuckaway1 (Small).jpg
    1928 Tuckaway1 (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1928 Tuckaway2 (Small).jpg
    1928 Tuckaway2 (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1928 Tuckaway3 (Small).jpg
    1928 Tuckaway3 (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 17
The NEWs are hands down my favourite Vintage DE razors. Great thing about them is they come in so many varieties with each having its own characteristics and they usually are quite reasonably priced when buying from forums (RAD!).
I recently tried one of my NEW short combs with a really heavy custom made handle as well and was surprised how well they harmonised.

Aw now don't say that! That's just encouraging me to buy more and the wife isn't going to be pleased if she finds a draw full of near identical razors! :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of RAD :)

No worries, you'll soon develop tactics & techniques on how to smuggle your latest additions undercover into your shave den and hide all your new lovely purchases from SWMBO!

Back
Top Bottom