TV streaming advice please

Hi Gents,

I was given a chrome cast for Christmas and just looking for some advice to make the most of it without requiring too much effort! I mainly use iPhone/iPad but could use laptop/Mac for casting from.

At the moment we have sky but very rarely watch anything other than terrestrial channels except from box sets. I also have a Netflix and Amazon prime subscription (annoyingly AP doesn't work with Chromecast). If I were to ditch sky or just pay for the Sky+ free sat what would you guys recommend for subscriptions etc? Also would it be worth getting it it Rooted and would this give me a way of using Amazon prime on it? Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Mike

I have ditched sky. Although I have now got talk talk for TV phone and broadband. The chrome cast is used in either my bedroom or daughters room when I'm away. Ideal for Netflix or YouTube.

To be honest if you are not watching sky 24/7 its a bit of a waste of £1000 per year.

Set kodi up on something and refer to the thread here about xbmc/kodi. It may be worth investing £50 on dedicated small pc or tablet for it that you can then cast to your telly

It sounds like you already have two subscriptions that'll satisfy most of your requirements so to get around Chromecast's AP restriction you could use Chrome on your laptop/mac to browser cast Amazon Prime from your computer to your Chromecast dongle.

I was bought a Fire TV stick and it works well (getting into Mr Robot), apparently you can side load it with Kodi (not attempted yet) as well as cast to it (no haven't attempted that either). Given the cost of Sky it's probably worth the small investment just to be able to fully utilise AP conveniently but I now use my Chromecast dongle as more of an audio streamer via an AV amp because of all the audio apps it now supports. Those include SoundCloud, TuneIn, Deezer, Spotify, iplayer radio and youtube and are controlled via a cheap android tablet (as barberbob recommends).

Last edited:
If you use Chrome browser then download the VideoStream app. Effortlessly streams browser content to your Chrome so it's very good for playing files that you've downloaded or anything streaming. Find a decent streaming site such as Putlocker for TV or MamaHD for sport and no subscriptions required.

Back
Top Bottom