UFO U2 Handle Review

So you know how it is, you spend a while sitting on the fence about some products, occasionally glancing at the web page and wondering what if. Well as I casually did this glancing at Rafael's site: UFO Razor Handles I started mentally preparing myself thinking which ones would I choose. I clicked on the U2 as I love the look of the two calibers in one handle. My ummms and arrrs were suddenly turned it to must buy now as I read there was only 5 left and no more would be made!

My point of contact was Jaun, a member here who is a very friendly enabler, and depsite my panicked emails was very keen to help. Before I know it my order was placed now all I had to do was sit and wait......

A couple of weeks later a package was put through my letter box, I had almost forgotten! (Not really I may have downloaded a tracking app for my iPhone (Posted).

Once opened the nicely padded pack in what I can only describe as a plastic drill bot holder were my handles!

UFORazorHandle-9.jpg

Inside was a certificate of authenticity which I thought was a nice touch. I expected the handle to be a little heavier if I'm honest but loved the aesthetics so so much. The first thing that struck me was the exquisite knurling, more subtle and subdued than I had expected, but so well crafted.

UFORazorHandle-7.jpg

I quickly grabbed my Weber DLC head, and went on as expected a perfect fit! And looked as amazing as I had hoped.

UFORazorHandle-8.jpg

UFORazorHandle-5.jpg

UFORazorHandle-10.jpg

That night I gave it a test shave. It was a fair amount lighter than my Weber/Bull Dog handle combination but in a nice way. Easy to grip and manoeuvre, the end larger caliber made a great resting spot for my little finger. This larger caliber gives great balance as it kind of acts as the tipping point that allows to really apply no pressure other than the weight of the handle/head.

UFORazorHandle-17.jpg

A great close shave! Throughout my communication with Juan and Rafael they talk alot about "feel" and "sensation" and "passion". You get a great sense of pride when using it. If I'm completely honest, I love this handle, but I wouldn't love it quite as much if it wasn't for the communication I received when purchasing it. You really do feel like you are buying something unique and should be privileged to hand it down to future generations.

I will leave you now with a quote from Rafael as your all bored of me dribbling on by now:

"These handles are made on a lathe, run through my hands. No CNC or computers, etc. And they are completed in a traditional way. No two are exactly alike and can accommodate small differences between them that makes them unique and unrepeatable......Every time I finish a handle a small part of me goes with it. Hours of work, but is a great comfort to know that they go into the hands of people who appreciate them as much as me and who share the same love of classic shaving."

Hi my friends. Please let me post here a bit of info and some of my own personal opinion. I hope it does not been saw as advertisement. It is not my intention.

Thanks a lot for your review, Matthew. You are very kind. Everybody I've met here are wonderful people, gents.

The U2 knurling is different from the Godzilla, Kaiser, or Goliath. The U2 knurling is much slim. This handle was born as an homage to the most beautiful British Gillette Aristocrat Razors.

My UFO U2 with its great maneuverability, with the moderate weight of 70 g has become my handle of reference, my go-to handle, when I have a new and unfamiliar razor head to test. So I can properly compare their behavior. Then, I step and I use it with my UFO Godzilla of 105 gr.

Thee most beautiful after-market razor handle bar none! U2 happen to be one of my favourite groups and believe it or not U2 is my Gillette birth year/quarter code (April 1974). Being fairly new to DE shaving, I missed out on these beauties but respect the Craftsman's wish not to make anymore. Makes them all the more special. Enjoy.

Gairdner said:
Thee most beautiful after-market razor handle bar none! U2 happen to be one of my favourite groups and believe it or not U2 is my Gillette birth year/quarter code (April 1974). Being fairly new to DE shaving, I missed out on these beauties but respect the Craftsman's wish not to make anymore. Makes them all the more special. Enjoy.

It really is a beautiful handle, as Juan said its amazingly manoeuvrable. It's brilliantly balanced, looks fantastic. The knurling is beautiful very subtle but lovely to use and grip.

Thank you very much for this review and as beautiful photographs mattyb240, U2 was the beginning of take it very seriously making razor handles, was an important step before manufacturing, tried, contrasted opinions with fellow fans and classic shaving, meditated very time well and proportions, weights, materials etc, is a great grip and feel very proud to have made​​, I hope to give you great satisfaction in your shaven.
A big hug Rafael

Back
Top Bottom