Venison

I know there is a few venison fans on here... I bought some venison steaks and had them for my tea tonight.
What I want to know is are they supposed to keep their colour when theyve been pan fried? When I cut into them they appeared to be very rare, thoroughly enjoyed them, but thought I'd cooked them medium rare. Is this normal? First time I've ever cooked venison so wasn't sure how they cook?

Assuming Fallow if bought commercially? Depends on cut, was it haunch? Broadly speaking I cook slightly cooler for slightly longer than beef, it’s a very lean meat although can blast it, it takes slightly longer to cook through.

Only cook it to 145F. I grew up in deer country. I mean big fat ones that lounged in cornfields. I never really liked the taste better than beef and most hunters had it made into sausage and/or chili meat. It takes awhile to get used to the gamey taste for sure. I prefer quail, pheasant & squirrel myself.

I am rather partial to Game, the Venison that I get I purchase on line. A haunch of Venison makes a nice roast with plenty left over for a Casserole.

6AA617FE-DAD3-4C25-9532-91766CC852AB.jpeg

I've had Chinese Water Deer and Sika haunch. The water deer I cubed and made into a venison rendang at Dickie's suggestion and it was very good and suited the meat well, and I like Asian food a lot
The sika haunch I broke up and enjoyed all the different cuts as pave or steaks. It was not gamey tasting at all and yes, it did come up rare, I seared it fairly hot (no idea of temperature, just pan fried with butter) then while it rested I deglazed the pan with some balsamic, then fried up some finely chopped shallots and mushrooms and red wine to make a fantastic gravy. Ate with Italian golden carrots (sweated in butter and a tiny bit of flour), mashed potatoes and wilted spinach.

I love venison but don’t buy it often
i think it’s a bit deer

Sorry :ROFLMAO:

Truthfully it’s similar to beef in terms of it should be hung.
i always find venison tougher & not as nice when i buy it from the supermarket rather than my local butcher’s.
My wife makes an amazing Venison Wellington which is to die for.
Getting back to the cooking method i genuinely think it depends on age & whether it’s been hung properly.
You can virtually guarantee if it comes from a supermarket it’s not been treated properly

Completely agree with Mike, over the past few months I’ve made much more of an effort with my venison butchery converting half the garage to a dedicated space and the difference is vast. One thing I’ve learnt this week is to cut the steaks thinner than I would beef and cook just as hot, that way they loose the tendency to be a bit dry.

Butterflied haunch of muntjac going on the bbq today!

Back
Top Bottom