What made your day a good one

iu

Years ago Mrs Satanfriendly bought a cheap Chinese made grandfather clock from some closing down sale. Pile of garbage, and missing the pendulum. So stuck it in the hallway and thought nothing of it...until recently.

Decided to make it in to a floor light, cobbled a 110cm long pendulum together and bugger me very happy. And damn, it holds time within a minute a day.

Oddly it adds an extra ring in every hour, so at 6 O'Clock you get 7 chimes, 7 O'Clock 8 chimes etc etc.

Must be a house of Satan thing to confuse the man himself. And it does

20240407_191919.jpg

Years ago Mrs Satanfriendly bought a cheap Chinese made grandfather clock from some closing down sale. Pile of garbage, and missing the pendulum. So stuck it in the hallway and thought nothing of it...until recently.

Decided to make it in to a floor light, cobbled a 110cm long pendulum together and bugger me very happy. And damn, it holds time within a minute a day.

Oddly it adds an extra ring in every hour, so at 6 O'Clock you get 7 chimes, 7 O'Clock 8 chimes etc etc.

View attachment 119962
i have a few mechanical clocks, could you see if you can unscrew the nut that holds the hour hand on, you might be able to move it to the right hour for the chime.
and set it up so it chimes bang on the hour.
ps. not an expert by any means. (y)

i have a few mechanical clocks, could you see if you can unscrew the nut that holds the hour hand on, you might be able to move it to the right hour for the chime.

I shall try that and thanks.

The clock only cost £20 and £15 for the lighting bits

View attachment 119962
If you get 13 chimes at midnight get it out of the house!!!

So tried it and now?......it's gone totally weird. It chimes once for the half hour at... quarter past, and then the hourly chime at quarter to the hour. Oh, and now 4 behind!

All I can think is 'bollocks to it. It tells the time correctly and make a noise in the background now and then'

Last edited:
So tries it and now?......it's gone totally weird. It chimes once for the half hour at... quarter past, and then the hourly chime at quarter to the hour. Oh, and now 4 behind!

All I can think is 'bollocks to it. It tells the time correctly and make a noise in the background now and then'

So tries it and now?......it's gone totally weird. It chimes once for the half hour at... quarter past, and then the hourly chime at quarter to the hour. Oh, and now 4 behind!

i would wait for it to chime the hour, stop the pendilum and set it to whatever time it has chimed.

Back
Top Bottom