Wilkinson Sword blades

Hi All

Found a pack of Wilkinson Sword blades at the back of the bathroom cabinet, slipped one in my razor and . . . wow.

I'm impressed.

Anyone else like these?

Are there different sorts / types?

What's the story?

There's a few types of wilkies around i believe.

I think the modern ones are made in Germany, but there are Indian ones around, and if you can find some NOS, the old british wilkies are apparently fantastic.

I have to admit to being quite partial to the Wilkies that come in a "Saloon Pack" (wherever they are made). Not the sharpest but a very smooth comfortable shave. Wouldn't be my desert island blade but very respectable all the same...

_

These are the indian ones... branded Gillette Wilkinson Sword as P&G own both brands in india i believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100ct-Blade-Gillette-Wilkinson-Sword-Safety-Razor-Double-Edge-Blades-Shaving-/151373061885?pt=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item233e899efd

The old English ones also come in various guises over the years. Only one type of the old English types I found to be lacking.
Modern German are tuggy and a bit blunt. Modern Indian ones are less tuggy and a bit blunt.

Mine are just in a black plastic case (with underside tray for used blades) wrapped in clear plastic. No cardboard packaging. Blades' wrappers have logos, blade has single logo.

Same as these ones here:

http://safetyrazors.co.uk/wilkinson-sword-stainless-5-x-double-edge-razor-blades/

I haven't yet found any ones in black packets to be made in England. I have some from a crossover period where they didn't specify country of origin on the outer packaging but the wax wrappers would say made in England or Germany.
If you like them that's all that matters

I found wilkinson sword blades today in a chemist. They were in a white plastic case. Is there any difference to the ones in the black case..

Our chemist sell the German wilki in the black box. I wouldn't be surprised if all these German blades i.e Timor, Merkur, Wilki, Bolzano etc' are made by the same maker which I suspect is Croma.

I've only used a few different blades in the short time I've been DE shaving and have to say that I get on well with the Wilkinson's.
The ones I've been using come in the black plastic box with the logo of crossed swords written in black on a white card insert.

I had used up my initial box from a sample pack and after having used a few other brands with not as much success I asked SWMBO to get me a pack from the high street. I believe it was a 10 pack from boots for around £3.50, but worth the convenience.

I have recently talked a couple of my colleagues into "Shaving like real men", and was pleasantly surprised when one of them found a shop called Boyes that stocked the 5 packs for 59p and returned with a pack for myself.

He has only used Derby and Wilkinson's but is hooked on DE shaving within a week.

I'm one of the people who like the German Wilkinsons. I think they do come from the same factory as Croma, Bolzano, Elios etc but for me are the best of that bunch. Not my absolute faves but good smooth blades all the same.

Back
Top Bottom