Wilkinson Sword Indian Review

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
wilkindia.jpg

Tried these out today for the first time.Double wrapped in paper with 4 glue gobs to hold the initial wrapping onto the blade,no glue on the cutting edge.
Print quality on the actual blade isn't great but what does that matter?
Used with the Muehle R41 and the shave was good.Nothing amazing but certainly a decent shave.Cutting seemed a bit less smooth than the Derby and I would probably say not as sharp as one either.No irritation or cuts.Seems to me that these are cheap,sharp enough for a good shave and smooth enough to be irritation free.A good beginner blade and also,in the right razor, a blade worthy of a place in a rotation.

Re: Wilkinson Sword Indian

yup it deffo is Gillette, says so on the pack and the blade.

hunnymonster said:
Boab said:
...with 4 glue gobs to hold the initial wrapping onto the blade

Sounds like more output from ZAO Petersburg Products (and before anyone gets excited and says "it's Wilkinson Sword, not Gillette" - in India, the brand is owned by Gillette...) - the 4 glue dots are indicative of that at least.

Is the Gillette India factory closing? It would be a shame, the 7 o'clock permasharps and super platinums are really nice blades.

Given the snippets I got from my contacts inside Gillette (as was) and P&G (as is) they were (going to be) moving all production for Africa, Asia & Europe to ZAO Petersburg Products - if they come with 4 glue dots holding it to the wrapper, it's highly likely that they already have.

Is there any way we can get companies to not glue the papers to the blades - especially as some makes are double-wrapped in paper and still there's glue blobs.

... or maybe it just me and my OCD, and everyone else is cool with the glue as long as the cutting edges are free of the gunk; I just really dislike the glued wrapping.
:|

Urban Hermit said:
Is there any way we can get companies to not glue the papers to the blades - especially as some makes are double-wrapped in paper and still there's glue blobs.

... or maybe it just me and my OCD, and everyone else is cool with the glue as long as the cutting edges are free of the gunk; I just really dislike the glued wrapping.
:|

Good question. I've never understood the glue on the Gillette blades, it must cost them money to do it. Personna don't use glue and it doesn't seem to affect their blades. Anyone heard a reasonable explanation?

It is not uncommon in parts of India/Asia to see shops selling individual blades. Perhaps this- the glue- is an insurnce policy for the buyer?

RE: Wilkinson Sword Indian

I tried one of these:-
wpe64b5bc8_05.jpg

Last night, in my EJ89 to be honest my expectations were low but I actually had a very good shave!

I got them from Connaughts Apparently they are made in India by Gillette..........

mattlad said:
wpe64b5bc8_05.jpg

Last night, in my EJ89 to be honest my expectations were low but I actually had a very good shave!

I got them from Connaughts Apparently they are made in India by Gillette..........

I've got a pack of those from Connaught as well - have yet to try them. Lets see if I have the same result from them as you.:)

chrisbell said:
mattlad said:
wpe64b5bc8_05.jpg

I've got a pack of those from Connaught as well - have yet to try them. Lets see if I have the same result from them as you.:)

I'll be interested to know how you get on Chris.;)

chrisbell said:
mattlad said:
wpe64b5bc8_05.jpg

Let me know how you get on Chris, I'll be interested to hear!;)

Wilkinson Sword Indian

I have some of these. Never knew Paul did then!

Sharpness is average but then best thing for me is that these blades are super smooth.

Back
Top Bottom