Wilkinson Sword W12

We're now into the 1950s and Wilkinson Sword have really modernised the look of their best selling Empire model with the W19, but anachronism rules ...

Presenting, the W12. One of the last of them.

IMG_7182.JPG

... as it arrived. Grubby and a little tatty but otherwise largely unused, I suspect; just that it was not plated like it W19 sibling and so has tarnished with time.

Notice the Archimedes screw up front is gone and we have a solid bar, much akin to the change from combed guards to the Runner Guard on the Autostrop Valet series. The case is also reminiscent of the Wilkinson Sword Dry Shaver, larger but most definitely similar in shape.

After a good clean-up with Peek Polish and soap, we have a respectable looking razor:

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7189.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

I am happy to say that along with two sharp, presumably new Tom Beasley blades this razor also happily takes de-spined GEM blades.

Do I get it plated?

I just find it difficult to understand why they were still making these in the 1950s.
Having said that, Filarmonica straights were still going strong in Spain and a host of German straight manufacturers were also still at it then. Given the competition from Gillette DEs it doesn't seem to make sense though.

I've yet to shave with this one, but the identical (and plated) head on the W19 was a smooth but milder shave. Consider it the Tech versus the 'Old' of the Wiko world. You'll be getting a closer look at this one in due course ;)

Back
Top Bottom