Wizamet razor

Hiya,

Acquired this old Polish Wizamet adjustable recently and used it maybe 6-8 times. Certainly a different experience than Gillettes and Merkers. Not bad, just different.

So it's got a long plastic handle that looks somewhat similar to a Knack or Slim Twist. Just a tiny bit shorter, but beefier than the other two. Same kinda TTO thing in all three.

The Wizamet is heavier by a bunch. We are talking 69g, which is about what a Slim or Super Adjustable weighs. The Knack weighs under 45g, so quite a difference.

The lighter than usual handle gives the shave a definite head heavy experience, which I prefer anyway. Almost feels like shaving with a J type injector but with more heft. Interesting.

Doors are a little thinner than on a Slim and as a result there's more feedback (louder and more vibration). Also I think they may be chrome coated since they seem to stay shiny and don't show any black tarnish on the cleaning cloth. Seems like the quality control is fine.

Much wider range of adjustment compared to Gillettes. I have the Wiz set 2 clicks lower than usual to compensate and man, shaving on #9 reminds me of a Progress on a high setting. Yeah, a LOT of bite so the adjuster feature does work well.

So I think this model is called the Wizamet11 Junior or something like that. Only have seen pics with a black handle/silver head combo. Not very expensive it seems when they show up for sale.

I enjoyed shaving with this thing and will be getting it wet again before too long. If you see one around it's worth a try. I can see people liking aggressive razors finding this amusing to shave with. I prefer a mild razor and it's great dialed way down on #2 for me. Good range for sure.

Martin

Included pics are not mine, but gratefully borrowed from hypo_style over at the big forum. Thank you.

DE razor

Nice review. If memory serves, weren't these made in Czechoslovakia or Poland or even Russia. I once bought what I thought was going to be a Gillette Adjustable from some Baltic country and got one of these instead!
(eBay)

RE: DE razor

Johnus said:
If memory serves, weren't these made in Czechoslovakia or Poland or even Russia. I once bought what I thought was going to be a Gillette Adjustable from some Baltic country and got one of these instead!
(eBay)

Thanks for bringing up these being made in Poland. I fixed my original post. So how was the shave?

Used it only once before putting it away. Do remember it well, as I felt that the guy from the Baltic pulled a fast one on me!!!
The shave was very similar to a Gillette slim adjustable but the quality and finish of the razor felt a little less than the Gillette.

Back
Top Bottom