Worm composters

I have been using one on & off for 10 years ( off when on international assignments ). I find they work well & the "tea" and the castings are very good for most plants & veggies.

Do you use the worms for fishing? If not, then Gilt Tail and Brandling worms make superb bait for Trout and Grayling. My composter has done quite well for me of late on this front.

I've had one for a couple of years now. I can't say we've had a great deal of compost out of it but it produces copious amounts of 'worm wee' that is great for diluting and watering pots with. The one we have is from Wiggly Wigglers but I think there are cheaper, and no doubt equally good, models around.

I'll be having a couple of these next year once I get a few things sorted. One will be for all the usual stuff and the other purely for dog poo which won't go anywhere near the veg or fruit trees but will be used on the hedges, grass and other non-edibles.

I like the look of these:

http://www.wormcity.co.uk/wormeries.htm

Gairdner said:
I'll be having a couple of these next year once I get a few things sorted. One will be for all the usual stuff and the other purely for dog poo

Blimey, had no idea the worms would eat dog poo. Surely you'd have to put veg matter in too. And what about the flies? My wormery is often full of fruit flies but wouldn't the crap attract blue bottles etc?

I have a small dog-do septic tank but I use a digester as it takes a long time to breakdown naturally even by voracious worms. I wouldn't take the risk of it leaching into the soil as well as the stink but if it's far enough away, no kids about and you don't use it on edibles, it's doable.

Well, I'll go for the standard veg matter one first, see how I get on then potentially do the poo thing. Can only afford one at a time and appreciate the note of caution on the faeces option. Don't want to upset the neighbours or take chances with my little girl so it may well be out. Thanks gents.

Been following. Had a neighbor in the past that fished every Saturday of our trout season. But even durning the off season he'd go to the stream a couple of times a week. Always by himself. Nights that it rained he'd be out there picking 'night walkers for his "bins".
Every Saturday during the season he'd come back with his 4 or 5 beautiful large trout. And Yes, he was feeding his spot with the worms he was farming.
Keep worms in rows of large coffee cans with nothing but torn up newspaper and Old Coffee Grounds, that he'd get from a small neighborhood restaurant.

I found this compost conditioner helped to speed up the process. I also use their worm cafe.

http://www.tumbleweed.com.au/WormFarming/WormFarmandCompostConditioner.aspx

I keep thinking about getting one of these, I don't have much space now as I have got rid of the allotment, but do have a fair bit of stuff I could compost, and it would be great for the veggies.

Back
Top Bottom