Would you be prepared to pay HMRC on imported raffle prizes?

Would you be prepared to pay HMRC on imported raffle prizes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Suggestions for prizes from the US have been made again so I thought it worth asking the question - would you be prepared to pay HMRC and RM when your prize arrived in UK?

How much you'd have to pay would depend on the value of the prize, obviously. The raffle would buy the prize and have it shipped to the winner. HMRC may or may not grab it but if they did, the VAT would be down to the winner.

There is a 'Yes'/ 'No' poll to gauge willingness or lack thereof to pay HMRC plus RM's dreaded £8 - or more for Fed-Ex, I think £12.

i voted yes, there's leeway in communicating with the seller, and then the willingness of the seller to help out could be a factor.
also, furthermore to this for example : the amount won added to the amount i would be willing to pay could sway people to take the risk?

ie : love that razor, but its 200+40 import
win lottery, pay customs 40 only to get what you want(if you get done), its a choice you make before buying a ticket??

The question is about would you be willing to pay the charges. To calculate ticket prices, I need a fixed and definite number - the price the item sells for plus postage, based on the winner living in UK. Clean and simple and why we have limited prizes to EU sellers.

There is some lovely stuff available outside the EU. Would you be willing to accept import charges? Yes/No.

also, furthermore to this for example : the amount won added to the amount i would be willing to pay could sway people to take the risk?

ie : love that razor, but its 200+40 import
win lottery, pay customs 40 only to get what you want(if you get done), its a choice you make before buying a ticket??
Exactly right, Alex.

Back
Top Bottom