Yet another R41 question

The 2011 version of this razor was known to be too aggressive for most and was tamed later on in 2013 replacing among other changes the top cap with a wider one.

Now I like the 2013 as is but something is bugging me and I know I am playing with fire here :angel:, if you replace the top cap with the one say from the EJ or R89 would you get the aggressiveness of the 2011?

The EJ top cap is narrower so there is more exposure so maybe I am answering here my own query, did any one of you dear R41 owners/ex owners ever tried this combination? If so how was it?

Edit, just noticed Hairsuite did try something similar in the past.

On another forum, I can't remember which one, a discussion comparing the '11 and '13 R41 said that both the cap AND the base plate were slightly different on the '13 model.

I don't know how true that is as I've not been able to compare, personally.

Ian

Shemen Zait said:
The 2011 version of this razor was known to be too aggressive for most and was tamed later on in 2013 replacing among other changes the top cap with a wider one.

Now I like the 2013 as is but something is bugging me and I know I am playing with fire here :angel:, if you replace the top cap with the one say from the EJ or R89 would you get the aggressiveness of the 2011?

The EJ top cap is narrower so there is more exposure so maybe I am answering here my own query, did any one of you dear R41 owners/ex owners ever tried this combination? If so how was it?

Edit, just noticed Hairsuite did try something similar in the past.

That's a really good question! I too have the 2013 version, but have a real itch to try the 2011 one. Have been keeping an eye out for ages on the BST forum, but haven't seen one offered. I do have an EJ (far too mild for me, was my 1st DE razor), and may experiment next week with a cap swapover. If I cut myself to shreds, I'll be most upset! LOL

I've compared the two side by side and if the base plates are different then I couldn't spot it! The 2011 top cap is probably
1mm or so narrower so compare your DE89 top cap and if it's similar you'll probably be OK!

Top tip...

The EJ cap and the R41 (2013) cap are visually identical, with no manufacturing marks on them at all! On preparing my little experiment, with both lying on the table, they could easily get mixed up. So I put a mark on one with a marker, and also the same mark on the corresponding handle. This way I'd know which belonged to which!

Well, it's all set up for tomorrow morning - my EJ cap is on the R41 base-plate. God help us all.... :icon_rolleyes:

I've now got a 2013 R41. As soon as I put a blade in it there was a visible difference in bladw exposure.

I don't own a 2011 version, but I can clearly remember what it was like to shave with, and the 2013 version is a much more friendly and usable razor.

I think that blade choice is crucial, and I used a Shark Super Chrome. Not a sharp blade, relatively speaking, but completed a 2pass shave without blood or irritation.

Ian

Excellent results Stephen, I will add my experience in few days to your thread if you don't mind. I was wondering why the 2011 version was going for silly money when the changes were to the cap and handle. So the R89 EJ and their clones might transform the 2013 to a 2011 for buttons.

Shemen Zait said:
Excellent results Stephen, I will add my experience in few days to your thread if you don't mind. I was wondering why the 2011 version was going for silly money when the changes were to the cap and handle. So the R89 EJ and their clones might transform the 2013 to a 2011 for buttons.

Even less than buttons if you already own one! LOL I'm delighted at finding a new use for the EJ, as it's that mild, I haven't used it forever since my initial DE training period...

IanM said:
On another forum, I can't remember which one, a discussion comparing the '11 and '13 R41 said that both the cap AND the base plate were slightly different on the '13 model.

I don't know how true that is as I've not been able to compare, personally.

Ian

Cap Weight 2011: 11 grams
Cap Weight 2013: 13 grams

Cap Height 2011: 41.18 mm
Cap Height 2013: 42.04 mm

Cap Width 2011: 18.54 mm
Cap Width 2013: 19.89 mm

Baseplate Weight 2011: 15 grams
Baseplate Weight 2013: 16 grams

Baseplate Height 2011: 41.26 mm
Baseplate Height 2013: 42.23 mm

Baseplate Width 2011: 24.99 mm