ZAO Petersburg products

Looking through the stash of blades I have a selection made by ZAO Petersburg products:

7 O'clocks - Yellows and greens
Gillette Platinum
Astras - Greens and blues
Perma-Sharp super

I know that there are others out there too.

Are any of them the same blade but just in a different packaging so they can get a different price point, for example marketing one as a low price platinum blade and another as a high price one but in reality they're the same?

What are the differences between them? Are they all differently ground, different grades of steel, different coating?

Just wondering.

Toodles

I wondered this at first. It apparently, at quality control level of manufacture they gauge the level of each blade and brand it accordingly, giving extra coatings if required.

I can't see them deciding what blade they'll be at the QC point. Far more likely that they set out with a particular steel on a particular production line and honing machine for a particular make of blade.

What are the differences between them? Are they all differently ground, different grades of steel, different coating?

All three, as far as I know. What is clear is that there are completely different production lines for different brands, I believe some of the machinery has even been moved lock stock and barrel from previous factories in other countries for consistency reasons, Poland being one (can't remember the exact blade). The ZAO plant is pretty enormous.

Take the 7 o'clock yellow sharpedge and compare it to the 7 o'clock green super stainless and the 7 o'clock blue platinum, they all perform differently. I've placed them sharpest to least sharp... the blue seem to be a whole league down from the other two and that (I think) belies a different production process, not just a coating.

Hmmmm

I get the differences within the same brand, yellow different to green different to blue. I guess I was hoping that the 7 o'clock green was the same as an Astra blue for example so that if I can't get hold of one the other will be a direct match.

As for the 7 o'clock range I've tried with the yellows, I want to love them but I guess I'm just far too sensitive for them, they do leve me with an irritated and sore neck. The greens that Canuck kindly sent me a while back are brilliant, just a few more blades to try and it'll be time to place a nice large order :angel:

Well I didn't really like Astras so I'd like to think they're not the same as any of the 7 o'clocks that I'm keen on. About the same price point as well I think...

I can see what you're getting at, unfortunately I have no idea if any blades are made the same and put in different packaging for different makes. I'd bet it happens somewhere, probably India if I had to guess... what are the odds that 7 o'clock green (Indian) are the same as Supermax?

The yellows are very coarse for me on the first pass. I sometimes strop them a few times on the palm of my hand first. I think it helps but some believe in palm stropping and some don't. If it wasn't for this initial coarseness it'd be in my top ten.

Back
Top Bottom