1st shave with my finished joseph rodgers

[attachment=0]

I collected my freshly honed and newly scaled razor today (thanks Neil) from Neil miller. I had a long shower as i had a fair amount of stubble going on, i left my fat boy at home last week and tried using a disposable(yuk). any ways i havent shaved since wednesday. So i lathered up with my p160 then stopped my newly honed razor, now this isnt as heavy as my gates but it felt a little more refined than the gates, almost like driving a merc or bm then getting into a renault, hope ya understand what i mean not anywhere as bad as a skoda but :?
well i started with the cheaks as usuall then under nose and chin, and this just chewed threw the wishers. Now someone once said, and i think it could have been Neil, "that you cant beat a shave with an old sheffield razor" dont get me wrong this was nothing like the german in audios vid.lol it was a four pass affair, and im very very impressed.
Neil the scales are great how do i look after them being a nice ebony and no varnish?
and the razor performed perfectly

another top honed razor from Neil Miller

Colin

Attachments

• blade3-46.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 225
Hi colin - I'm back up and running after the driver-conflict with that damn USB microscope, as you can see! I'm glad you like the razor - it was a pleasure to work on it. You didn't waste much time having a shave with it! As always, it should settle in and reach optimum in 3 or 4 shaves time.

I coated it with 4 coats of Renaissance Wax - they say three makes things waterproof. I don't really think it even needs the wax - I have done three sets for a lovely guy in Sweden who specified no wax - he likes the smell of the wood, as I do. Ebony is pretty water-repellent anyway, so as long as you wipe it down and give it the occasional buff with a soft cloth it should keep as-is (I have a 70 or so yr old pair of untreated Ebony scales somewhere - still in great condition). A little non-silicon wax once or twice a year should keep the shine on them.

I don't really like varnish on hardwood - my dad had a boat once and I can remember all the hours and lavish attention I spent on varnishing it, and the way the varnish peeled of the hardwood in no time at all!

All the Best,
Neil.

PS: I posted this once, but it got lost somewhere - apologies if it turns up under completely the wrong subject!

This is a beautiful razor. Congratulations. One of my favorites is also a Joseph Rodgers and Sons. It was a flea market find, I don't think it had ever been used. I managed to polish and hone it myself, and like yours, it shaves like a dream.

Back
Top Bottom