A Shave & A Brighter Disposition

As cute as the movie is, the shooting scenes are total bonafide, Moroccan leather bound BS. :rolleyes: For my European friends I am posting this video for historical educational purposes. As a note, after 1 to 2 shots with old time blackpowder rounds you wouldn't have been able to see beyond a few feet in a dank fetid cantina. As well, they didn't "fan" revolvers then. A fine movie, albeit with a great stretch on historical license...;)

On another note, in the 19th century some of the best blackpowder was actually made in England:

http://www.oldindustry.org/ShotTowers/local_history_river_crane.pdf

As cute as the movie is, the shooting scenes are total bonafide, Moroccan leather bound BS. :rolleyes: For my European friends I am posting this video for historical educational purposes. As a note, after 1 to 2 shots with old time blackpowder rounds you wouldn't have been able to see beyond a few feet in a dank fetid cantina. As well, they didn't "fan" revolvers then. A fine movie, albeit with a great stretch on historical license...;)

On another note, in the 19th century some of the best blackpowder was actually made in England:

http://www.oldindustry.org/ShotTowers/local_history_river_crane.pdf
Next you're going to tell us that pistols weren't accurate enough back then to be able to shoot individual fingers off at 25 yards? ;)

My pet peeve in movies is engine/blaster/explosion noise in the vacuum of space.

Next you're going to tell us that pistols weren't accurate enough back then to be able to shoot individual fingers off at 25 yards? ;) ...
Yes, lack of global warming then caused less bullet yaw. :p;)

...My pet peeve in movies is engine/blaster/explosion noise in the vacuum of space.
Yep. Only 2001 A Space Odyssey did it right. :) Ever notice how lethal arrows are in movies? No one ever screams like Hell or takes time to die. Hollywood must dip the arrowheads in Curare. :rolleyes:

I have shot vintage (original) Colt 45 black powder single action pistols. (I have been a hobby gunsmith for 40 years) Pistols of that vintage were very short range firearms. 4" groups at 20 meters was a particularly accurate pistol. Most real gunfights were at about 10 feet or less*. Shooting fingers off at 25 meters? Not a chance. Great movie though!
And yes, a few shots with black powder inside a bar and you wouldn't be able to see anybody.

*I completed a comprehensive defensive handgun course at Front Sight Firearms Training Centre in Nevada, USA. They taught this old geezer to draw from concealed (under a jacket) and put two rounds of full metal jacket in a silhouette target in 0.9 seconds. I used my own 1911 in .45 acp. We were told that real gunfights still usually happen at 10 feet or less. My own 1911 is a heavily modified match pistol. It isn't accurate enough to do that stunt.

I've only ever shot a couple of 'real' pistols from my days when I worked with the army. A Glock 9mm which was just ridiculously easy to use, given that all I had to do was do as I was told by the range master, and put some holes in a piece of paper, and at another range session, a Desert Eagle .50 cal auto which broke after 4, surprisingly controllable, shots. Other than that I used to do some club level air pistol target stuff when I was in Air Cadets, and I have a 177 CO2 pistol for the kids to plink with.

I'd love to have a go with a sorted 1911, and obviously a Colt 45 would be a really interesting experience.

The highlight of the trip for me happened at lunch on day 3. We were told "Starting at 12:30 there will be full auto rifles available for you to shoot on range #1. Ammo is available for purchase at the range." Gulped down some chow and made a beeline for range #1. There was a smorgasbord of full autos. Uzis, H&Ks, M16s, and several others I can't remember, and a real, vintage Thompson, built in 1946. I shot the Thompson. A lot.
Edit: @Rob998 If you ever get to Thunder Bay in Northern Ontario, Canada, I'll take you to our indoor club range, and you can shoot mine.

Last edited:
Yes, I have seen it meant as such in literature, but never in conversation. Go figure. Most times it is used to describe children or a woman in a pixieish way. The only other time I can think of is saying it in response to a smartass (with a scowl), e.g., "Cute". :mad:
I've seen that on US TV progammes and films and never understood it. I think we only have the one usage of it here, so I understand "she's cute" as a compliment but after that it gets confusing. What's the saying "two nations divided by a common language"?