And another!

TeP

If anyone is interested Maggard razors now have a 'Tuxedo' coloured style knot in stock now. Don't know if it is the same as the others on sale around, but guess there is a good chance it is. Anyway have ordered one so will see what it's like. Luv the other knots they have sold for a while, if as good this will be a winner as well.

Silver Fox - what puts me off buying from Maggard is the risk of VAT and customs duties on import - a real faff, and usually accompanied by a massive "administration" charge from the courier. Are you in the UK, and if so what has been your experience buying from them?

Hi RT, I'm in the UK bought 3 times now and all OK. Touch wood, all orders been under the £15 ceiling. This last order came to £15.51 once it went through the exchange so am waiting to see what happens. Don't mind getting bitten once, so if it does happen will have a word with the guys at Maggard and see if they can help. If not it just means ordering one 'Tuxedo' at a time to keep under the ceiling. My previous orders where for 2 of their ordinary fibre knots, those with the postage came under the £15.

Only the future will tell, will see how it goes as I do like their fibre knots.:rolleyes:

Hi RT, I'm in the UK bought 3 times now and all OK. Touch wood, all orders been under the £15 ceiling. This last order came to £15.51 once it went through the exchange so am waiting to see what happens. Don't mind getting bitten once, so if it does happen will have a word with the guys at Maggard and see if they can help. If not it just means ordering one 'Tuxedo' at a time to keep under the ceiling. My previous orders where for 2 of their ordinary fibre knots, those with the postage came under the £15.

Only the future will tell, will see how it goes as I do like their fibre knots.:rolleyes:
Speaking with the guys at Maggard myself recently, if the cost of an item exceeds the £16 or so threshold for vat and duty charges, they'll list it as £15.95 to try and avoid customs.

After all that, having spent a happy hour or so mulling over the options, I bought the PAA Bakelite slant rather than the Maggard slant. I want to try an open comb slant and I think the PAA Bakelite will be sufficiently different from the RazoRock German 37 that is currently my favourite razor to justify yet another razor. The only slant razor I've tried so far is the RazoRock and I'm curious as to how slant razors vary.

Anyway, the PAA Bakelite is readily available here in Britain so my potential Maggard purchase is on hold.

The razor I really fancy is the RazoRock Wunderbar, but that's not available - and would be very expensive if it was.

Speaking with the guys at Maggard myself recently, if the cost of an item exceeds the £16 or so threshold for vat and duty charges, they'll list it as £15.95 to try and avoid customs.

Thanks for the above Benz3ne, got my 2 knots the other day. One buff with black tips, and one black with white tips. As I had said my order was just over the threshold, Maggards did put $15.95 on the customs slip, so no duty. ;):) They'll be getting even more of my custom in the future.:cool:

Silver Fox, when you get the Maggard "Tuxedo" knot please post when you have discovered the optimum seating depth, please. By the way, what diameter did you buy?

Silver Fox, when you get the Maggard "Tuxedo" knot please post when you have discovered the optimum seating depth, please. By the way, what diameter did you buy?

Bought the 24mm. Fits perfectly into the Rubberset 400. I'm no expert but when I tried it out it felt little different from the other tan/black tip synthetics they sell. I always face lather and I'm sold on this knot.

The loft was finally set at my normal 56mm, which also seems to prevent these knots from splaying much. This loft is quite a bit lower than the chinese ready made up synth brushes they sell. I bought one and found it a bit floppy for my liking.

Could you clarify this for me, please.

All I use these days are the tan with black tip synth knots that Maggard sell. These are all I've used until Maggard got the 'tuxedo' type knot in last month. I got cheezed with the different qualities of the badger knots I was getting from all over, so tried one of the Maggard synthetics, with some trials I found the sweet spot (for me) with the first knot and have set them at the same loft. ie: 24mm @56mm loft, 22mm @ slightly less, probably about 52/53mm loft. These are the only knots I have used regularly. When they got the tuxedo knot in I had to try, and as I found the backbone at 56mm is just right for my way of working on my mug.

Although searching around the web the loft for these tuxedo knots appears to be approx. 57mm.

Again trying to set these knots I do find that it can be quite awkward to get the measured loft. Like when I set the tuxedo into a rubberset 400 the bulge of bristles above the base plug kept pushing the knot up in the metal top. Had to tape it all together until the first bit of adhesive set. Tried same brush yesterday and luv it, will be getting some more.

Don't know if this lot makes sense to you, all I would say is get one of these knots. You won't be disappointed IMO.

I am trying to decide if the Tuxedo style would be an improvement over my other black synthetic brushes or not, e.g., Maggard 22mm black & RazoRock 24mm black. These latter two are IMO better than the regular Plissoft synthetic brushes.

Maybe I'm easily pleased, have never tried a Plissoft but once I tried the Maggard synths I've not looked back. Most of us seem to go through the phase of trying to find the holy grail of razor, blade, and brush. With it all being so subjective I have now settled on about four blades, a couple of razors, and the Maggard knots. The only thing I play with now is making brushes when I feel like it, I do like nice different handles though. :rolleyes:
Good luck with your choice.

SF, it is my belief that the regular Maggard synthetics are Plissoft. I know the RazoRock ones are and they are a great knot for sure. In other words you have used a Plissoft I believe. So, IYO is the Maggard Tuxedo style better than the regular Maggard synthetic?

Back
Top Bottom