Blade width

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Just curiosity more than anything, but in general why are DE blades wider than the average DE head?

I don't quite understand the need for the tabs on the ends and on one or two occasions I have actually managed to cut my ear with them. I do hold my hands up to being careless at times but if they weren't there........?

Just curiosity more than anything, but in general why are DE blades wider than the average DE head?

I don't quite understand the need for the tabs on the ends and on one or two occasions I have actually managed to cut my ear with them. I do hold my hands up to being careless at times but if they weren't there........?
I may be wrong so don't take this as gospel but I think it's left over from a time when the tollerances were not as good as they are today so if you needed to adjust your blade before screwing the handle tight you could by holding the tabs.......this is just a guess, I could be well off the mark! :) P.

I have wondered why they just don't do away with them. All the heads I use seem to have enough locating pins to ensure a pretty correct alignment. I can't say I've ever had to do much more than stick the blade in and get on with the job.

I have wondered why they just don't do away with them. All the heads I use seem to have enough locating pins to ensure a pretty correct alignment. I can't say I've ever had to do much more than stick the blade in and get on with the job.
That's one of the many reasons I love my Hone 15 razor, covered tabs. Just looks neater and no chance of catching an ear lobe. :) P.

That's one of the many reasons I love my Hone 15 razor, covered tabs. Just looks neater and no chance of catching an ear lobe. :) P.

Same with the Futur, Paul.

The "tabs" make for safer handling of blades when loading/unloading and positioning.

Some blades have a longer over hang than others, the Supermax Blue Diamond for instance are the longest blade I have used.

Just found this topic randomly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is not a fan of exposed blade tabs. I'm sure I've caught myself on them with the DE89 a couple of times. Agree that if you have good locating pins / slots, then blade alignment isn't an issue, thus the tabs aren't needed for that purpose.

I really like having the blade tabs covered on the iKon heads, looks so much better and no chance of catching part of your face with them. Fair enough if they exist for safe handling of the blade, but if this is the case you'd think more manufacturers would cover the tabs with their razor heads

In my DE89 the blade almost always needs some adjustment to be equal on both sides and parallel, so these "lugs" to the blade are certainly useful to me.

It's because there were different blade pitches from different manufacturers, typically these tended to be 1.687”, 1.682” & 1.680”, in addition some had different ‘ Notch width' ( what was referred to as a tab)

Don't be afraid of the blade. ;)

99fRIvS.jpg

Tabs were definitely need for my Fatip and Merkur 34C, terrible for blade alignment, didnt get on the the Fatip in general but the Merkur i could have really got on with barring the alignment issue, having to adjust a blade is ridiculous in a nice razor like that, cheaper and older razors, Tech comes to mind fool proofed blade alignment 80 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom