Cheap Brushes.

Hi, I have been DE shaving on & off for 8 years using a combination of DE Razors, but recently splashed out on a Edwin Jagger Kelvin razor, I started using a Wilkinson Sword synthetic brush with Wilkinson Sword shaving soap then graduated to Ingram shaving cream & a small boar hair Jaguar shaving brush.
I feel the Jaguar brush is inadequate, as when wet the hairs clump together & are thin & patchy, I don't have a lot of money to spend on an expensive brush, so need advice on the best budget brushes (Probably synthetic) to buy, around £10 maximum. I have read reviews on Omega brushes & wonder if they are my best option. Thanks in advance for replies!

the omega pro 49 is indeed a wonderful brush but i find it a bit on the large side. for me, the omega 11126 and the semogue 1800 are a better size - both costing £12.50 - that is just slightly over your projected budget but either of these brushes will give you years of service

edit: i have the omega 48 pro which is the slightly larger brush. the 49 would also be an excellent brush for you to try

Last edited:
YaQi synthetics all day & every day. I bought a Zenith boar recently having read it was better than Omega and would beak in faster than a Semogue. That was BS as I soaked it for over a week in a cup of water in the fridge and beat it on a towel every day before returning it to the fridge. It's still as stiff as Day One. I should sell it. :(

YaQi synthetics all day & every day. I bought a Zenith boar recently having read it was better than Omega and would beak in faster than a Semogue. That was BS as I soaked it for over a week in a cup of water in the fridge and beat it on a towel every day before returning it to the fridge. It's still as stiff as Day One. I should sell it. :(
Which one is it? Might be interested :D

Thanks for all the replies! I finally settled on this! An Omega S10065 Synthetic Fibre Shaving Brush with Blue Handle, just 5 pounds 85 pence from the Shave Lounge & free delivery. (The Pound sign on my laptop has stopped working, hence writing the price out like that)
I could have got an Omega 49 from Amazon for 8 pounds with free delivery, but decided on a synthetic, as I believe you are supposed to store boar hair & badger hair brushes bristles down & I have never been able to locate a brush holder for a reasonable price, usually they are 15 to 20 pounds plus, I believe storing synthetic brushes bristles upright is not such a no no as they dry so quickly.
I may still buy an Omega 49 in the future! Thanks again for the advice & replies!

It's just a ploy by brushmakers to sell stands. Experiments have been conducted and found negligible difference, in fact the only position which showed a marginal improvement in drying time was horizontal, which is impractical.
Good! I'm pleased about that, as I won't have to shell out for a stand! Funnily enough, the Jaguar professional boar hair brush I have been using for over a year just gets stored bristles up & I don't see any deterioration on it.