Cleaning ceramic hand grinder in ultrasonic bath

My ↪Porlex Mini hand grinder is out of action, awaiting a new handle. Here's a brand new handle. Note the crisp hexagonal hole...
HandleNew.jpg

Here is my handle after 2.5 years of daily use. I estimate 3000-4000 cups of coffee have been churned by that handle.
HandleWorn.jpg
I'm not complaining, just showing. Also the loop in the rubber ring that holds the handle ripped ages ago. So a new handle and rubber ring are on their way from ↪hasbean.co.uk (does anyone know a different supplier of spare Porlex parts, in case they disappear?).
I normally clean the grinder with a tiny shaving brush I bought from Poundland (if you like scritch and a backbone of steel and hate lather you could use it for shaving.. no, you couldn't). The ceramic burrs were still a bit brown and oily afterwards, so I thought I might be able to clean the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner. A quick google yielded absolutely nothing, so I decided to share my experience:
I used hand warm water with no cleaner added (I don't want my coffee to taste of chemicals).
The result: after merely 10 seconds in the ultrasonic cleaner the parts look as good as new and the water was murky brown. The ceramic is whiter than celebrity teeth.
Now I'm waiting for the postman with the new handle and my first proper coffee in days...

Andreas,

Feeling the pain. nothing worse than not having your own homeground coffee first thing in the morning. Even the ritual or waking up, staggering down to the kitchen, grinding the beans, and putting them through the machine can be deeply missed. Hope it comes soon.

Andreas,

Feeling the pain. nothing worse than not having your own homeground coffee first thing in the morning. Even the ritual or waking up, staggering down to the kitchen, grinding the beans, and putting them through the machine can be deeply missed. Hope it comes soon.
The new handle arrived the next day :D
20161108_114824.jpg

Better... :D:D

Back
Top Bottom