Ebay bits - Curious

It's anybody's guess, but the razor really ought to be a stinker at that price. What is interesting is the claim that the steel is German, rather than that the razor is made in Germany. The latter would automatically suggest to me that the blade is something gruesome with the scales put on in Germany, but, taken at face value, that doesn't seem to be the case here. Even if the steel is of good quality, the heat treatment is an unknown. It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look to have been honed at all ... the strop is very short, and may or may not be of much use. I'd avoid this deal on the basis that it seems way too cheap: in fact "AVERAGE RETAIL PRICE £ 69.00" still seems low for a usable new razor and strop.
Here's a link to SRP's "Brands of Straight Razors to avoid" page, which may be of interest to anyone toying with the idea of getting a Cyril R Salter, by the way:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Brands_of_Straight_Razors_to_avoid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/i ... s_to_avoid</a><!-- m -->

Cheers Arrowhead, it just made me laugh when i saw that, and another that was £14 buy one get one free! Id be dubious about a new DE at that price let alone a Straight! Funny thing is, they seem to have sold some! :lol:

Haha I bought one of those BOGOF ones at a tenner. Not to shave with, but to pull apart so I can practice repairs/customisation etc. Didn't want to practice on something half-decent!

Well i considered it to practice honing, but then i thought if you cant get a good edge anyway then there would be no point for me!

If you are thinking about a razor for honing practice I would buy a .99p razor of ebay there are lots that come up. You don’t have to restore it just hone it and see how it goes. With regards the razor and strop that you highlighted I wouldn’t buy it there are far better razors out there for that sort of money you just have to keep on bidding on ebay up to an amount you want to spend and eventually a razor will come up it will have to be honed to make it shave ready anyway.

Back
Top Bottom