Feather AS-D2S

Tony'schin

Staff Member
Supporter
Hi guys, I am a born again DE Razor user and have been looking for the best DE razor to buy and the feather AS-DS2 gets rave reviews.
Is it really that good and is it the best bang for buck DE?
What are my other options for my life long razor.
Cheers
Tony

Hi guys, I am a born again DE Razor user and have been looking for the best DE razor to buy and the feather AS-DS2 gets rave reviews.
Cheers
Tony

Which razor(s) are you using at the moment (if indeed you are), or have in the past?

There are many good stainless razors around, at the price point of the Feather, but not all are available off-the-shelf for UK purchase, and have to be imported, with all that involves.

The Feather has a reputation as a mild razor, but that might not be what you want; hence the question about your current or previous razor.

If you're in the UK, I'd suggest having a look at stainless Above The Tie (ATT) razors, and perhaps the "multi-plate adjustable" Rockwell 6S. These are stocked by UK vendors. The Muhle Rocca is, as I understand, a a similar performer to the Feather, but less expensive, and there are offerings from RazoRock in stainless. Stainless Ikon razors are good, although many of the heads for Ikon models are now aluminium (but still pretty durable).

If you search the DE and perhaps the General sections of the forum, you'll find plenty of commentary on gazillions of razor models, including those I've mentioned.

Stand by for a flood of other suggestions!

Last edited:
Thanks Ferrum. At present I am using a Merkur 23c long handle. I like it, close enough for a day and a half. I am waiting for a Muhle R89 Grand. I have big hands and look forward to trying that. I have 3 X DOVO straight razors but have not used 2 of them at all (I may trade) my stropping technique is not the best therefore I am a bit reluctant to use them. I am practicing on a cheap straight.
I went back to DE after 35-40yr this month using the technique my Dad taught me. Doing canny. No nicks or cuts. I just fancy something " special" that works. I don't think I need an "aggressive" razor as my beard is not that strong. All in all I am really enjoying my morning shave again.

No stainless steel razor is going to offer the best bang for the buck, they're luxury items and most of what you're paying for is the fact that it's stainless steel. Not to say that they're not good, I love them myself, but they're not about value for money.

My favourite is the PILS.
My PILS is in the queue to be my favourite razor, when I next use it, and before the one following after. That's the case with all my razors, bar the Futur, which I loathe and despise. Worse than a girl with a wardrobe full of party frocks.

Certainly, many of the s/s razors are on the "very expensive" spectrum. That's where the Rocca and some of the stainless RazoRocks score, by way of being not quite so highly priced. I see the black-handled Rocca is now around £75.

The R89 Grande and Rocca handles are, I think, both 95mm. The RazoRock Mamba/Game Changer are s/s heads and the Mamba has a long 100mm titanium handle, and the price of these in the UK seems to be around the £75 mark, which to me seems good value. With all these razors, there is the facility to swap handles for different length and design ones in stainless, at reasonable cost.

An expensive upgrade is always a leap of faith, and I personally think that a lot of sensible people, after doing their homework, manage it successfully and enjoy what they get.

* i.e. those not presently suffering from, or recently cured of RAD

Cheers
Tony
If it helps I don't use my AS-D2 any more, I much refer my Rockwell 6S on plate 3 or 4. I find it just as smooth but more efficient.
The AS-D2 has a very narrow sweet spot but the 6S I can throw round my face at pretty much any angle and get a great shave.

No stainless steel razor is going to offer the best bang for the buck, they're luxury items and most of what you're paying for is the fact that it's stainless steel. Not to say that they're not good, I love them myself, but they're not about value for money.

My favourite is the PILS.
I should have been a bit clearer. I want to know what the best executive model was. I have a lot to look at so far. Thanks.

My PILS is in the queue to be my favourite razor, when I next use it, and before the one following after. That's the case with all my razors, bar the Futur, which I loathe and despise. Worse than a girl with a wardrobe full of party frocks.

Certainly, many of the s/s razors are on the "very expensive" spectrum. That's where the Rocca and some of the stainless RazoRocks score, by way of being not quite so highly priced. I see the black-handled Rocca is now around £75.

The R89 Grande and Rocca handles are, I think, both 95mm. The RazoRock Mamba/Game Changer are s/s heads and the Mamba has a long 100mm titanium handle, and the price of these in the UK seems to be around the £75 mark, which to me seems good value. With all these razors, there is the facility to swap handles for different length and design ones in stainless, at reasonable cost.

An expensive upgrade is always a leap of faith, and I personally think that a lot of sensible people, after doing their homework, manage it successfully and enjoy what they get.

* i.e. those not presently suffering from, or recently cured of RAD
RAD?

Thanks for the advice guys, looking at both the Game changer and 6S. A lot cheaper than the feather. Your comments are appreciated. You never know I may sell/trade my straights for a feather later. Will keep you informed.
Looking on shaving station. Had any dealings with them? thanks

If only.
R(azor)
A(cquisition)
D(isorder)

Qv: an unnatural and curious obsession for buying razors. Subsidiary disorders include an apparently irrational desire to acquire many soaps, brushes, blades and other (IMHO essential) impedimenta.
Got it already

I buy from Shaving Station. Never had less than A1 service there.

As a side note, forum members are very savvy, and bad experiences with suppliers get fully but fairly reported if they occur.

Have a look in the Vendors section. Some of we RADicals are indulged and encouraged by forum member discounts. Rational humans also qualify.

Well RAD confirmed. Ordered a 6S and the Game Changer. Got 5% off so used the saving and booked next day delivery.
Blade recommendations please. At present I have Feather and Astra Superior Platinum's.

Back
Top Bottom