Feather razors. Are they 'all that'?

Even though I am about to throw myself in to the deep end of SE's (okay, a shallow paddle as a starter) I still remain searching the DE market for those which are away from the crowd.

The Feather still remains on my curious list but not sure if it is just another nice mild razor which does a job or is it more than that? Does it give a sublime shave (prep etc all being in good order) and does it give wow! factor?

A curious mind at work

i love mine (asd2) top quality razor - i like mild and this one leaves my face smooth with no irritation. is it worth £200? - not really, is any razor really worth that much? a 10 quid tech will give you a smooth shave but it is satisfying to use. i bought mine as a gift to myself after having bought a lot of vintagerazors but i certainly wouldn't be spending that much again!

I have finally started using my feather razor, and how much do I wish I had ratched out of the packing box earlier, I got it after using an ikon which held blade lovely (yet to have a blade chatter) and the usual curiosity, glad I scratched it, when I am home I use nothing else, I only use my other razors when travelling for work etc.
Strangely I do not like the feather blades in it, still rough compared to other blades, so far GSB, Astra SP, Pol Silvers are all sublime in it, even the wife faceturbates me after a shave with the feather.

Isn't life strange? I've just seen this thread today, and yesterday I ordered a Feather AS D2 as I was curious as well. I've been thinking about getting a Feather for a long time, and I've read lots of good things about them. And I wanted to have a stainless steel razor at last instead of chrome-plated Zamak razors, which, after the shortest time, look a bit grubby somehow.
Or like one of the Parkers I bought where the chrome-plating started to flake off.
To me the feather looks so sexy and functional, like a well-made tool, which I suppose it is really. It'll be arriving next week, can't wait!

Isn't life strange? I've just seen this thread today, and yesterday I ordered a Feather AS D2 as I was curious as well. I've been thinking about getting a Feather for a long time, and I've read lots of good things about them. And I wanted to have a stainless steel razor at last instead of chrome-plated Zamak razors, which, after the shortest time, look a bit grubby somehow.
Or like one of the Parkers I bought where the chrome-plating started to flake off.
To me the feather looks so sexy and functional, like a well-made tool, which I suppose it is really. It'll be arriving next week, can't wait!
Enjoy you won't regret it I bought mine 2 years ago I look after it and clean it and dry it between uses and it still looks the same as the day I got it, in my opinion it's mild but a sharper blade gets a bbs shave without irritation helps with my sensitive skin.
Enjoy your shaves

I'm new to this game, but the AS-D2 is in a completely different league to the Merkur Futur I had before. I've got no experience with anything other than these 2, but then the Feather give me no reason to look elsewhere.
For me with an Astra SP blade (I find the feather blade a bit harsh) it's perfect.

I’ve had a an AS-D1 (the precursor to the current AS-D2) for a number of years and it’s one of the best razor purchases I’ve made.

It’s smooth and mild enough that I can shave with it every day and the level of quality of manufacture is high. It’s a great razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoop whoop :D Although the delivery was supposed to be Thursday next week, it came today with DPD :D I ordered it from amazon.de on the 29th, but it was actually sent from Groom Manifest in the UK. Two days to Germany, not bad! I can't wait to try it out. I'll try the feather blades that came with it first of course, but Groom Manifest also sent 20 Mühle Stainles blades as a free gift. I've never used them, has anyone here any experience with them?

So I've shaved five times with it, and it has instantly become my go to razor. So much so that I'm in the process of selling all my other razors ( here on the forum in buy and sell, plug, plug....Just sayin' )
All the positive stories are true: it's efficient and gentle at the same time. I can't explain it, I just know I get a BBS with a three-pass shave without any cuts and weepers. And no razor burn or soreness. I've decided to use the Feather blades for the moment, I ordered 200 on Saturday, and they came yesterday.
I also have 200 Polsilvers, 200 Nacets, about 150 Rubies, as well as about 200 assorted Astras, Personna etc. which I will be trying out with the Feather in the future. Whatever works with the Feather I will keep, what doesn't work with the Feather will be sold off, or given away to friends.
I have made a stand for mine out of a scrap of oak I had lying around in my workshop. A couple of passes through the bandsaw, drill a hole, stain it with a nice dark tone, and then wax and polish it. I'm very pleased:D

DSCN1405.JPG DSCN1406.JPG

@GuitarTech
If the Feather is based around a Tech, then the Polsilvers & Nacets should work a treat. They do with my Tech.
What stain, wax did you use for the oak did you use? It looks like a rosewood! I'd be intrigued whether such a finish could be used for a maple guitar neck or alder guitar body (apologies for going off topic, as much as I love razors guitars are my obsession...)

The stain is a water-based stain from Stewart-Macdonald. I took a few drops of tobacco brown, and thinned with a few drops of water at a time it till I was happy with the tone. Then I brushed it on with a stiff-bristled brush. After it was dry, I used Clou Antique furniture paste wax applied with a cotton rag. And then polished it on the buffing machine.
You can use the stains for staining all kinds of wood. For a guitar body or neck you need to mix it till you're happy with the tone ( try on scraps from the same wood until you're happy with the tone ), and then when it's finished, either wax it, or spray with clear laquer.
In this book: https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Books/Guitar_Finishing_Step-By-Step.html are recipies for all the guitar colour schemes known to man, including the classic sunbursts from Gibson etc. And Stewmac has a set of 10 thinneable stains so you can mix any tone you like. They last forever, I bought mine ten years ago, and you can't even see that the level in the bottles has sunk, as you only need two or three drops for each job.
OT is OK, guitars are my passion too. Here is a link to my website: www.myers-guitars.com The grey-haired old duffer on the home page is me :D