first shave

jimmyc

Supporter
Supporter
Had my first shave with my new straight tonight, i just done my cheeks and flat neck bits.
I could really feel when angle was off. Too flat to skin, sticking. Too high from skin, scraping.
But when i got it right i knew it was right. :). Went over twice once i sussed the angle, and as Billy would say dolphin smooth. No cuts or irritation at all, or sting from aftershave.

I was a bit apprehensive at first and could feel when blade was about to jump/skip.
( I think i was being too light handed at first)

Next shave i will do it with a bit more authority, not rough just a bit less apprehension.
All in all very happy with first go, just waiting for strop to arrive, then ill be on my way.
:D:D:D

Had my first shave with my new straight tonight, i just done my cheeks and flat neck bits.
I could really feel when angle was off. Too flat to skin, sticking. Too high from skin, scraping.
But when i got it right i knew it was right. :). Went over twice once i sussed the angle, and as Billy would say dolphin smooth. No cuts or irritation at all, or sting from aftershave.

I was a bit apprehensive at first and could feel when blade was about to jump/skip.

Next shave i will do it with a bit more authority, not rough just a bit less apprehension.
All in all very happy with first go, just waiting for strop to arrive, then ill be on my way.
Well done, that's the hardest bit done, now you just need to pratice pratice pratice and then practice a bit more :) P.

Has Billy recommended a paddle strop to you?....

Has Billy recommended a paddle strop to you?....

Yes he has, he gave me a number, Peaters Eaters i think is the website( if not allowed mods please delete)
My brother ordered me a hanging one, just waiting for it to come.
temped to use leather armchair. :eek: just kidding.
I might get a paddle strop anyway. Seemingly easier to use for newbies

Yes he has, he gave me a number, Peaters Eaters i think is the website( if not allowed mods please delete)
My brother ordered me a hanging one, just waiting for it to come.
temped to use leather armchair. :eek: just kidding.
I might get a paddle strop anyway. Seemingly easier to use for newbies
That's the puppy,.....he does a nice job,..makes each one to order, so get in sooner rather than later,....save your hanging strop until you're a bit more experienced:)

Bit of an update on straight shave.
Have had at least 10 shaves since, but about 5 shaves in things seem to get very rough.
I figured it was my crap newbie stropping. I was right, razor would hardly cut arm hair.
so i sat down and concentrated hard on doing it with x strokes, what a difference.
razor cuts arm hair without touching skin, I'm impressed and very happy :)

Can I ask where you got your first SR from? I'm thinking of taking up this form of shaving, and seems bit of a mine field :eek:

Bit of an update on straight shave.
Have had at least 10 shaves since, but about 5 shaves in things seem to get very rough.
I figured it was my crap newbie stropping. I was right, razor would hardly cut arm hair.
so i sat down and concentrated hard on doing it with x strokes, what a difference.
razor cuts arm hair without touching skin, I'm impressed and very happy :)
Aye..X Strokes & Keeping the Blade Flat on the Strop..Get Some 0.5 Chro/Ox to Maintain it..Stop it Getting Dulled..There are many Ways to Use it..A Few Licks After Every Shave or Hit it Every Few Shaves..Just Find what Works for You..:)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom