Focus se48

Roy

I have had this razor for about two weeks, and what a great one it Is turning out to be.
I hated it when I first got it....rough and cuts all over! I think this was due to me inserting the blade incorrectly, and although pinned down ok, it was not aligned. You do have to ensure, the blade is seated in the plate and not squint.
This razor gives a smooth comfortable shave, and it's simple to shave under my nose which my de razor did not do well. Two passes is usually all I need. .you hardly know you are shaving.
I do miss the heavier feel of my EJ, and if you like the feel of steel or chrome it may not be for you.
I gave tried a few de blades in it, and all have been comfortable, even the feathers which I found sharp but rough before.

Mine took some getting used to, but now that I've worked out how to use it, I'm very pleased with it.

It seems that quite a few people started out with some doubts about this, but have come around to it.

Mine took some getting used to, but now that I've worked out how to use it, I'm very pleased with it.

It seems that quite a few people started out with some doubts about this, but have come around to it.
For some reason, I found it difficult to install the blade correctly. Took about 5 minutes! Wondr if the stand would help.wax side down had no effect to hold it in place.

For some reason, I found it difficult to install the blade correctly. Took about 5 minutes! Wondr if the stand would help.wax side down had no effect to hold it in place.
I haven't got the stand, but from the videos it looks as if it's probably more useful as a "hands-off" method of removing the head. I haven't had any problems loading the blade, but I think it takes a bit of practice.

I thought I'd use the weekend as a time out between the Open Comb razors to let some recent additions get a little face time. Today the Focus Dynamic was up with half of an old Wilkinson Sword blade.

large.jpg

The Focus Dynamic is an Italian built single edge, swivel head aluminum razor. It uses half a regular DE blade. The top cap is wide enough that it fully covers the tabs on the blade. It is mounted in a keyhole fashion, place half blade on head pushed up against the posts then as a unit insert the posts into the body, press down and slide the cap in place to lock. They recommend positioning the broken end curve to point the upturned parts towards the top.

Here is where some experimentation and caution is needed. Once assembled look closely because with some blades a corner of the blade can stick out on the edge. I tried three blades and two were perfect but a Merkur Super blade would not center fully and left a tiny unprotected edge exposed. Would it have made a difference? I doubt it but why take chances.

Today I used Speick cream and a nice old EverReady 400PB pure badger.

Second from left on bottom shelf:
large.jpg

The final result is a PDG very near perfect shave but it took three full passes and some significant touchup. It's likely that once I get more experience with this razor I will be able to get my PDG shave with just two passes.

Like the OneBlade Core though, this razor initially just feels wrong. It seems to like long strokes with considerable pressure against the face. It's super mild but so far just average in efficiency. The shave is really comfortable with absolutely no irritation or scraping or nicks or cuts or boo-boos.

If someone who has been using Safety Razors for a long time picks this up it is gonna feel weird and wrong. But if it is someone coming from the cartridge world it is likely magnificent (once they get over the terror of breaking a razor blade in half).

In all it seems after just one shave to be a really fun little jewel and it comes in lots of colors. Collect the whole set.

Once you get used to the Focus and make sure blade is correctly seated, it gives a fab shave. In fact, done after two passes. Shaves under the nostrils which de razors struggle to do a good job.

I agree with you about the fabulous shave you get with the Focus Dynamic razor.
In fact I have set it aside as my number one razor.
I'm now going through all the razors I bought since falling into this rabbit hole to release them for others to enjoy.
I will keep my Futur clone for the DE side as I have not found any other DE that shaves better for an adjustable razor.
I have other non adjustable DE's that I also will be releasing for others to enjoy but will be keeping one or two of the older versions from Gillette.
Problems on the SE side too as I have so many great SE razors that are 100 years old and older all the way down to the mid 50's.
But still the Focus is where it's at for me. YMMV
Ron

I am on the fourth use with my halved Feather blade. As smooth as anything. I could not use this blade in my de razor.....edwin j, as they felt rough. Fab! Are we the only ones who love this razor?!

I'm still in "Marmite" mode with this. I've carefully followed the various Focus threads,both here and elsewhere, and have picked up many handy hints and tips.

I've got razors I love, and others not so much, but I haven't yet had one get the better of me. After another session or two with the Focus, I'm beginning to think I'm getting the hang of it.

I can now achieve a consistently good shave, but I still find I get a fair bit of post-shave sting; so I'm not doing something right.

Altogether, a curious experience.

I'm still in "Marmite" mode with this. I've carefully followed the various Focus threads,both here and elsewhere, and have picked up many handy hints and tips.

I've got razors I love, and others not so much, but I haven't yet had one get the better of me. After another session or two with the Focus, I'm beginning to think I'm getting the hang of it.

I can now achieve a consistently good shave, but I still find I get a fair bit of post-shave sting; so I'm not doing something right.

Altogether, a curious experience.

Try long relatively diagonal strokes where you do not lift the head from your face. Instead of buffing I find two diagonal passes, one generally ear to nose line but also slightly downward for a first pass then second pass again diagonal but nose line to ear line and upwards.

Only after two full passes do I check for places that need touchup and then first make sure the head is flat on your face before making shorter strokes.

In using traditional DE and SE razors you generally do not stop with the razor against your face. With this and also the OneBlade razors you need to start with blade flat on face and then move. It feels really wrong at first but it also really works.

I've followed the advice closely, and I'm getting better, but still inconsistent, results. Meanwhile I'm running in my new stainless Colonial General. I will persist with the Focus, however. After all, I did buy one!

Not directly about the Focus, but isn't it curious how, all of a sudden, a slew of similar razors pop up? This Broman razor, half DE blades, swivel head and apparently a UK product in Zamak, is on Indiegogo (another crowdfunder). It's billed as "The World's First Pivoting Safety Razor", but I rather think the Focus got there first. It's only 13% funded, with 25 days left, and 65 backers, so it has some way to go.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/broman-the-world-s-first-pivoting-safety-razor

Add:-
I notice that the Broman has piled on some more backers since I first posted this, so maybe it will be fully funded.

Last edited:
Any prohlems with the Focus, is almost 100% due to the blade not being seated correctly. When I do this correctly, it is impossible to get anything but a smooth comfortable shave .I can get away with one pass if In a in a hurry .The best blade for me is Feather which I found rough in my Edwin J.

Interesting about the Broman and for the price I would say it would be worth it to check it out.
But being on the wrong side of the pond I figure it would cost too much to buy in when I already have a Focus.
Ron

No! I love it too and use it exclusively. Every so often I backslide and try out one of my DEs or injectors but always regret it and come back to the Focus.

If I feel the need for something out of the ordinary, I'll use my Focus. I then have to use the other blade half in my Rocnel SE, which gets me using that scary piece of kit.

Back
Top Bottom