GEM 1912 - slight restoration - what year could this be?

hello all,

I'm fairly new into the DE world but enjoying it massively. It's become a huge obsession.

Anyway I was watching a video and someone had a GEM 1912 SE which I was fascinated by. Anyway a bit of ebaying and I picked one up for £6. It's was a bit of a mess but thought it would be a bit of fun. Anyway after some serious cleaning and polishing it now looks great. Unfortunately the externals of the case is past in and the insides ok just a bit smelly.

Anyway what I'm wanting to know is what year would this be. I'm getting so confused as I believe there are lots of 1912 but unsure which one this is. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Some resto pics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vFegZDq

I may be wrong here, but they were produced up to the 1950s. The Art Deco link handle came around during the late 1940s, I think. Also, you have an American Ever Ready 1912, housed within a box that probably housed a Gem SE previously.

The American Ever Ready razors are comparatively mild, compared to their English counterparts; but still give a smooth shave. I donated mine to a passaround box, and it seems to be received fairly well.

Last edited:
It's pre-1930. The wide comb was replaced with one where the corners are somewhat clipped for 1930 onwards. It "feels" like a New Improved model, which would be circa 1921.

The case is wrong though ...

That style of case was used for both GEM and Ever Ready but they were branded accordingly. While the case is a red herring (what with it being wrong), I still think it's an early to mid-1920s razor and actually could have been sold in that sort of case.

The restoration went well!

For the case, car wax actually works quite well to revive the dullness and offers some protection once gently buffed. Internally, using a soft toothbrush, just dab at the fabric gently. Lovely job!

Back
Top Bottom