Hard soap help?

Hi all,

I've never used a hard shaving soap before and I'd quite like too but I've got a few questions.

Can you switch pucks out of bowls/ use one bowl for numerous pucks or do you use one bowl per puck? (Most places I've seen charge £10+ for a bowl when most soaps are less than a tenner. I'd rather spend less on bowls and more on soaps). - if you know of a cheap soap bowl/ container solution then please fire away.

I've read a lot of people swearing by using boar brushes with soaps. Is a boar brush a way to get 'the best' out of a soap?

Finally, I want to buy maybe 3 different soaps to start with. 3 different brands of possible. What are the 'essential' shaving soaps (if there's such a thing)?

Thanks in advance guys!

Synthetics for me. Some like badgers, but my premium Silvertip Maseto is currently on BST.

The 250ml aluminium containers on eBay are perfect for refills - enough room to sweep a brush round. Cheaper from China if you can wait.

Search for "4 x 250ml Aluminium Tin Silver Round Containers with EPE Lined Screw Lid"

Even cheaper are the plastic containers:

"Clear Round Food Containers Plastic Storage Tubs with Lids Deli Pots +Microwave"

Synthetics for me. Some like badgers, but my premium Silvertip Maseto is currently on BST.

The 250ml aluminium containers on eBay are perfect for refills - enough room to sweep a brush round. Cheaper from China if you can wait.

Search for "4 x 250ml Aluminium Tin Silver Round Containers with EPE Lined Screw Lid"

Even cheaper are the plastic containers:

"Clear Round Food Containers Plastic Storage Tubs with Lids Deli Pots +Microwave"
Bought 4 aluminium tins mate. Thanks. Naturally I'll now have to buy 4 soaps rather than 3 :). Got any recommendations?

Bought 4 aluminium tins mate. Thanks. Naturally I'll now have to buy 4 soaps rather than 3 :). Got any recommendations?
If you like floral scents I recommend Via Barberia Herbae - real Italian quality and a lot cheaper than the leading brands. Available from a few vendors, and on eBay at £9.95, free postage. That's a bargain - looks like an overstock price. Fructi is good too, but I prefer Herbae..

Hi, the soap I live is the range by Saponificio varesino, and one of the best is Cosmo. Hoever I also like Dolomiti which you can get a puck for around £22.
I do find it very easy to lather with a badger brush, but for some reason a synthetic was poor.

As you say, Roy, Saponificio Varesino is a great range of soaps. I have Dolomiti, nut not tried Cosmo - that's a coffee/cocoa scent? I shaved with Felce this morning - lovely Autumn scent. Fern captures the mood of September nicely. SV can be out of stock with UK suppliers at times - last one I ordered from Shavingworld. Gents also have good prices but currently out of stock. My Yaqi synthetics work fine with these, especially the 26mm Tuxedo.

What does this mean? How can they lather great but perform poorly??

I think they're lovely OP. Got 2.
Rola-Cola is brown and fizzy but as a Coke Substitute, it is crap lol.

I can't get a good shave with DR Soaps no matter what I do. God knows I've given it a fair chance (about 2 dozen shaves iirc). I might have a bad puck and I suppose one would email them to discuss but DR's customer service is as crap as the soap so I shan't bother.

Glad it works for you.

I might turn the puck upside down and try again.