Homemade Bay Rum?

When I first started using the forum someone called Steve, I think, sold Pens and also Homemade Bay Rum. Was fantastic stuff.

Between him and @Professor Blighty I was skint but smelt fantastic and was BBS.

Anyone recommend good bay rum aftershave, soaps etc.

I used few brands; Boots: very good, usually in summer used as a body splash and hair tonic, inexpensive. Pinaud's virgin island BR: very good as well but the scent is stronger and lingers long time(scent reminds me of minced pies, hence it suits winter). Boots and Pinaud Bay Rums are actually sold as hair tonics but can be used as aftershave, however talking from the experience, initially it burns especially if you didn't had a perfect shave.
The other brand is; Benjamin's mentholated BR; this stuff is really weak compared to Boots and Pinaud, it is more like just normal water with few drops of Bay Rum.
These are my experiences and opinions, some may agree some may not. Boots and Benjamins are cheap, there are lots of other brands. In the past I did had a bottle of Steve's homemade Bay Rum, personally it was my least favourite and used only little bit and swapped with something else on this forum, it did smelt like a Christmas Pudding.
Bay Rum is very popular and it has it's fans I'm sure other members would suggest and comment other brands.

The bay rum I liked best is Ogallala. I used to get it from Maguire's in Newcastle, who still list it on their website, and who were the sole UK/European stockist. There was a fair bit of commentary about problems with that vendor, and I haven't used them for a long while (any update on or recent experiences with Maguires would be welcome).

Otherwise, Boots is OK, as are Trumpers BR cologne and Pashana American BR (hair dressing/tonic). In my experience, none of them, including the very clove-scented Ogallala, last very long.

Something like Ogallala is easily done yourself - witch hazel, clove and bay essential oils.
I've tried replicating it, and, as with anything in the "smellies" department, including soaps, a lot depends on the quality of the ingredients; not all of which are created equal, especially the bay element. In one case, my fault, as I "bought cheap and bought twice".

I still haven't decided whether the best results come from making a very strong mixture, or keeping a "normal strength" mix to quietly mature for a good long while. It's a subjective thing, but I bought an 8 fl.oz. bottle of Ogallala on Boxing Day 2013, which is now about half full, and kept in the dark. I'm pretty certain that age has vastly improved it, and it hasn't yet turned to the consistency of light engine oil or treacle.

Anyone recommend good bay rum aftershave, soaps etc.

Meissner Tremonia make a very excellent Bay & Rum soap and aftershave. While I don't like the feel of the aftershave (too much glycerin for my liking, although it makes a great hair tonic), the soap is literally superb. Cream (rasierpaste) also.

Off the shelf, I've always enjoyed Pinaud VIBR. It's fiery! Otherwise, Benjamin's with an additional few drops of bay rum essential oil.

Whether employed internally or externally, I should think that would grow hair on a billiard ball.

Haha! Yeah! The birch tar oil makes it really dark and gives it that tarry, earthy scent that you find in Laphroaig whisky. Very similar. It's good for the skin, too. In the old days, Bay Rum was simply a handful of the bay corns dropped into the ships rum. Splash on body stinky from the last sea voyage and jump ashore and into the nearest brothel! Homemade concoctions should honour this simplicity.

Back
Top Bottom