How do you listen to your music?

Streaming, radio, mp3 player, cd player/hi-fi system? I've recently decluttered all my old gear. The record deck, CD player and amp are all tucked away safely in my roof space for the antiques roadshow to find in 50 years. My LPs and CDs are now all copied digitally, stored on a 6TB hard drive, the originals safely boxed and stored away. The mountain of kit I used to have has been replaced by a simple Bluetooth amp and speakers. This setup is a great aid to domestic harmony and I'm happy to recommend it.

I have a Tidal subscription and though I have 2.5 TB or so of music on hard drives, 90% of the time I just use the streaming service. I love being able to control the music remotely on my phone from the den (the music lives in the living room. I use a Google Chromecast when I want the remote control capabilities.

I do still use my turntable for the few hundred records I didn't give away. I value the ritual aspects of vinyl playback. Like wet shaving.

Still a lot of kit but no CD player:

Heavily modded Technics SL1200
Quicksilver tube phono preamp
Truth preamp
Audio- GD Reference 5 DAC
Dedicated X220 Thinkpad
Speakers not pictured are JBL LSR305

f3ede14913542b03efb9692dc5d279b6.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lots of digital streamed to Hi-Fi. LOTS of vinyl played on Hi-Fi. No CD player now as all CDs are held as digital.

I've got a pretty simple setup - it's a Sony LX350 on a Kenwood KX3020 SE which was a great amp 25 years ago. I do keep thinking about improving this setup, but it works and I'm happy with it. Speakers? Just small Gale satellites and a big Gale Force subwoofer. Love my Dub, love my drum-machine Goth, love my Industrial :D

Seriously, I can't even remember the last time I listened to a CD :( Which is a shame! As I have hundreds at my first home and some of those might be worth a penny or two soon. My Mac doesn't have a CD drive and I don't really have space for a dedicated player, so it's mostly iTunes and Spotify for me. Is anyone a big SoundCloud fan? I like their ethos, but feel like there's simply too much competition, plus, I heard SoundCloud is a sinking ship tbh. And then there's these... other music streaming services that are trying to battle SoundCloud :/ I know Bandcamp, but the others? No idea.

I love Spotify. Stream a lot of music particularly in the car, and at work.

Recently bought my first ever turntable. An affordable Audio Technica LP60. I now have a very meager record collection.

Back
Top Bottom