Irritation from Mild Razors

Over the last couple of weeks I have been getting a fair bit of irritation to my neck after shaving with my Gillette Tech and Slim Twist. I don't get the same irritation after using my DE89. While the DE89 is still relatively mild, it is a bit more aggressive than the two Gilettes. I would have expected to get more irritation from the more aggressive razor but the opposite seems true. Is this unusual? I've tried to keep my technique the same when using different razors but the pattern is definitely emerging.

With this in mind, would you have any suggestion for a razor that is a little more aggressive than the DE89? I don't want to go to extremes but thoughts on the next step on from the DE89 in terms of aggression would be welcomed.

Cheers

Steve

Have you changed your blades? Think it's just because your razors are so mild it takes longer to get the result you want. Sharper blades in your mild razors might help. Parker variant or merkur progress adjustables might be an option. As mild or aggressive as you want it to be.

And I would guess that's your answer: more strokes = irritation. You obviously have a good enough technique to cope with the DE89s more aggressive nature, so perhaps you might be able to go even more aggressive?

I'm a newbie too, and I'm finding when a blade is on its way out and I have to make more strokes, I'm getting irritation too.

merkur progress adjustables might be an option. As mild or aggressive as you want it to be.

I've just ordered a Progress clone, a Ming Shi 2000S, to try something I can adjust the aggressiveness of, just because of a couple of areas I can't quite get BBS, specifically under the corners of my jaw. I can scrape away all day there with my Merkur 23c and not get it right.

I've just ordered a Progress clone, a Ming Shi 2000S, to try something I can adjust the aggressiveness of, just because of a couple of areas I can't quite get BBS, specifically under the corners of my jaw. I can scrape away all day there with my Merkur 23c and not get it right.
The Ming Shi is a clone of the merkur futur. I have 2 and they aren't bad for the price. My Rockwell 6c has been the best razor I have had. I have a genuine merkur progress, a merkur 34c, a vintage Schick injector. I have had vintage black beauties and slants. Rockwell beats them all.

I think Dave79 went on to an Ikon B1 OC and understand he his quite happy with it.

@Veston Pants Yes, I ended up with said open comb razor. I understand it to be a relatively mild OC anyway but it just seems more efficient than a DE89. If you are really bored then have a read of this.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/what-razor-to-try-after-de89.48076/

Also note that I took advice to at least try a heavier handle on the DE89, and I much prefer a good stainless steel one to the light stock EJ ones. I could quite happily just own these 2 razors though I'll try an SE one day.

An adjustable like a Rockwell 6C, Parker Variant, etc is always an option. I'm yet to try one.

I think irritation is as much down to preparation and technique as anything else. The other important factor is get to know your face. Which way the hairs actually do grow. I was rather amazed at how well I didn't know myself and when I thought I was WTG I was actually XTG or ATG. Plus don't shave too often if things don't feel right. Your skin loves a rest now and then.

As for the hardware side, I find adjustable razors an oddity and I couldn't get the gist of why? I find the Ikon SB or one of the SE's produce a far better shave without the need to think 'what setting?' Or 'what plate?'. They just do the job and return exactly what you put in and what you want.

As for the hardware side, I find adjustable razors an oddity and I couldn't get the gist of why? I find the Ikon SB or one of the SE's produce a far better shave without the need to think 'what setting?' Or 'what plate?'.

The number of BST listings which state 'I find it a touch too aggressive' or 'I have more aggressive tastes' is why adjustable razors are a thing I think.

I have a Rockwell 6S and I've slowly moved from plate 2 to 3 to 4, though I am still learning, so it has been good for that.

Back
Top Bottom