Looking for s 'stich up' program!

I do very occasional photo editing, mainly cropping, resizing, and 'stitching'. However, the program I use is PaintShop pro8, which is fine. But it's a bit tedious to stitch photos together in the same frame.

Is there a FREE program out there that can offer this function in a very simplistic form?

When you say "stitching", do you mean creating a panorama from several shots?

If you're looking to assemble several (perhaps unrelated) photos into one frame, then Google Picasa, which is free, has a feature called "Collage". This allows you to build several photos into one, with various preset layouts like grid, mosaic, "picture pile" and so forth.

It's pretty basic, but I've used it in forums to drag together shots of, for example, different razors for comparison. It's easier than getting all the bits together and posing them for a single shot.

Ferrum said:
When you say "stitching", do you mean creating a panorama from several shots?

If you're looking to assemble several (perhaps unrelated) photos into one frame, then Google Picasa, which is free, has a feature called "Collage". This allows you to build several photos into one, with various preset layouts like grid, mosaic, "picture pile" and so forth.

It's pretty basic, but I've used it in forums to drag together shots of, for example, different razors for comparison. It's easier than getting all the bits together and posing them for a single shot.

Apologies, I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but yes, putting together 2 or more photos, not related, into the same shot. Have just downloaded Picasa and will install it shortly - many thanks for the tip...

Is there a way to stop Picasa looking for every photo/file on my laptop like it wants to do everytime I open the program? There is no option on the splash screen to tell it to "piss off, no, I'll browse you to whatever I want"!!

In Picasa,
File-Add folder to Picasa
will give a list of folders it will pull pictures from. You should be able to uncheck those you don't want and so forth. The little popup panel of options is quite self-explanatory.

Post or PM me if I can help in any way.

RE: Looking for 'stich up' program!

Unfortunately, the initial splash screen prevents any further use of the program unless you proceed with one of the 2 options - thanks anyway. Shame, it looks as if it would have fitted the bill but alas, it thinks it's cleverer than I am :huh:

Picasa%20screen.jpg
[/code]

It's a long time since I first installed this thing (years and years).

Of course, it's non-destructive as to what Picasa includes or not. You could therefore select the first choice, and see what it comes up with, and then deselect the folders you do/don't want. I would imagine that most of your pictures are in My Pictures.

It really is just an index or list of pictures it finds in these locations, and when they show up in Picasa, you can use them or not as you wish.

You can then just uninstall Picasa if you don't want it.

HOWEVER, Google/Picasa may want you to open online albums and heaven knows what else, which I would say No to every time.

Ferrum said:
It's a long time since I first installed this thing (years and years).

Of course, it's non-destructive as to what Picasa includes or not. You could therefore select the first choice, and see what it comes up with, and then deselect the folders you do/don't want. I would imagine that most of your pictures are in My Pictures.

It really is just an index or list of pictures it finds in these locations, and when they show up in Picasa, you can use them or not as you wish.

You can then just uninstall Picasa if you don't want it.

HOWEVER, Google/Picasa may want you to open online albums and heaven knows what else, which I would say No to every time.

I have around 50Gb of photos - the potential for registry errors in broken shortcuts, and general gumming up of the works of an already fragile operating system (that's any version of Windows) really isn't worth the hassle. I really don't want a program that worms it's way to every photo I have, especially when I'll need that program maybe just a few times/year. I'm really looking for something that I can just 'browse' to a photo as and when necessary... But thanks anyway.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/ice/
Haven't tried it myself so can't couch for how good it is but the microsoft stitch it used to work well. I am guessing this is the next gen version.

alancrab said:
Have you looked at "The Gimp" it's free and apparently very powerful. Not a photographer myself but might be worth a look.

Gimp has a plug in called Stitch Panorama that'll do what you want.

alancrab said:
Have you looked at "The Gimp" it's free and apparently very powerful. Not a photographer myself but might be worth a look.

GIMP is very powerful, I've been using it for a very long time. Has all the things you'd expect, and plenty more. Once you've got used to the differences between say Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop, it's really just as good.

I highly recommend it.

A while back I heard of the GIMP magazine, they release issues quite far apart, but they're worth reading through.

Gimp is a good free download photo editing program I personally don't like it I find it not that easy to use, so my preference and another free photo editing program and the one that I use is Photoscape, not sure if it as a stitch mode though?

Gents, please accept my apologies in possibly giving you a 'bum steer'. My term, "stitch up" I think means something different to what I actually was after. I'm after a function that will simply put together a few Jpegs into the one Jpeg, you know, like you often see on ebay where the one photo is split into 4 showing 4 different smaller photos.

That's what happens when you're an old fart, you don't really speak the same lingo as the kids LOL No idea what the terminology is that I'm actually looking for... Is it collage?

antdad said:
Picasa will do what you want...

https://picasa.google.co.uk/

That's exactly what I want! Although I've already removed that program without fully installing it - for some reason it wanted to attach itself to all my 50Gb of photos, and I don't want that. On the initialisation splash screen, there is no option for, "it's my PC, I'll decide what you hook up to!"

Picasa%20screen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom