Mühle After a Year

I loaned out my MÜHLE black fiber bush approx. a year ago and just recently got it back (long story). Now mind you I bought this back in the Fall of 2014 when it was "cutting edge" and used it like a courtesy car to cathouse for nigh onto two years. It never let me down. However, after this last hiatus I used it last night and I have to say that it is most certainly dated. The successive generation(s) of synthetics have left it gasping for air. It felt prickly to my face after two years of successive & better synthetic brushes. I will however continue to utilize it as a loaner for newbies, but other than that it has clearly gone the way of the flintlock. :(

Which of the successive fibres or knots do you rate as the best of the current gen synthetics? I've got a bulb tuxedo on a wolf whiskers brush, which is really enjoy. I also like the look of the AP Synbad, not keen on his handles much tough.

Many synthetic brushes break their fibres from (hard) use, which in the longer run makes them more prickly and perhaps even uncomfortable.

It doesn't have to mean that a new one is better - it may just be non-broken/defective.

I have, and have had, a few plissofts where this exactly is the case. I have a tuxedo which experienced the same and another tuxedo which still performs smoothly.

Those plastic fibres tend to scratch and prickle when they break. This fenomenon alone is why I'm moving away from synthetics as a daily brush.

Many synthetic brushes break their fibres from (hard) use, which in the longer run makes them more prickly and perhaps even uncomfortable.

It doesn't have to mean that a new one is better - it may just be non-broken/defective.

I have, and have had, a few plissofts where this exactly is the case. I have a tuxedo which experienced the same and another tuxedo which still performs smoothly.

Those plastic fibres tend to scratch and prickle when they break. This fenomenon alone is why I'm moving away from synthetics as a daily brush.

Interesting. I have never read nor heard this before. Is there any evidence to back this up, or is this purely anecdotal? :confused:

Interesting. I have never read nor heard this before. Is there any evidence to back this up, or is this purely anecdotal? :confused:

It's not a scientific research on my part, only from what I have experienced over the years with my brushes. The one tuxedo was butter silky smooth when new but after 6 months it was quite scratchy compared to a replacement knot.

Perhaps I use'em like I hate'em? :)

The black fibre didn't quite do it for me as I thought it tended to flick the lather around. The new generation are a big improvement, or so I find and in particular the Plissoft which is another step up the synth ladder from the Muhle offerings

I have a MÜHLE Vivo black fibre

Something else you stole

Back
Top Bottom