New to DE razors

I need your help guys with some pieces of advice.
I've ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89 a month ago and I still have not received it.
Last week I've ordered a Parker 24c that I will get later today. One just needs an open comb razor too, right?
I specifically chose the DE89 as my first razor because it is very mild. The 24c is still mild, but more aggressive than the 89. I know, I know, YMMV!
Now I need to leave home for about a month. My only options are: stick to the Mach 3 or start using the 24c.
What would you guys do?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I need your help guys with some pieces of advice.
I've ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89 a month ago and I still have not received it.
Last week I've ordered a Parker 24c that I will get later today. One just needs an open comb razor too, right?
I specifically chose the DE89 as my first razor because it is very mild. The 24c is still mild, but more aggressive than the 89. I know, I know, YMMV!
Now I need to leave home for about a month. My only options are: stick to the Mach 3 or start using the 24c.
What would you guys do?
Thanks!

I would start by finding out where your De89 is but in the meantime try your other DE , remember, no pressure and take your time. I take it you have some quality shaving soap and a brush, get started , take your Mach 3 with you just incase you have any real problems adjusting to a new razor. :)

You might find that the slightly more aggressive 24C is ideal for you, while you wait for the DE89. I second Blademonkey's opinion that you should try and chase the whereabouts of your razor, but there's no harm trying the 24C especially if you follow advice that you try and locate the angle in your own time (there's no rush!) and use almost absolutely no pressure! Get that good lather going as well - a brush and shaving soap will definitely help you along! :) Like Blademonkey says, take the Mach3 as this is where your knowledge currently lies.

In short, listen to Blademonkey! :p Good luck!

I have been using DR Harris Windsor soap with my mach 3 for the last three weeks and I get quite a good lather out of it with the muhle silvertip fibre.
I'll pay the post office a visit today and keep my finger crossed. On the Edwin Jagger website they say it can take up to 23 days for my parcel to be delivered and now it's been 28. I've learned my lesson about the postal service.
Any advice on the first blade to use with the 24c? I have about a dozen of blade types and ten more on the way (dispatched the same day as the rasor). I might try it tonight. I have four days of beard growth.

@Eurofighter - sounds like a plan. I'd be tempted to raise a complaint at some point with either the vendor or the postal service... if its lost in transit at least the vendor would be able to raise the issue and hopefully seek compensation.

Also, what blades do you have at your disposal? :) That'll help others help you with your decision!

"Edwin Jagger cannot take responsibility for any delays caused by the postal & courier delivery services outside the UK"

This is straight from the Edwin Jagger website.

Now let's see if I remember the blades:
Gillette platinum
Gillette 7 o clock green
Aston Bic
Muhle
Voskhod
Ladas
Rapira - all of them
Polsilver iridium
Astra ss
Shark inox

"Edwin Jagger cannot take responsibility for any delays caused by the postal & courier delivery services outside the UK"

This is straight from the Edwin Jagger website.

Now let's see if I remember the blades:
Gillette platinum
Gillette 7 o clock green
Aston Bic
Muhle
Voskhod
Ladas
Rapira - all of them
Polsilver iridium
Astra ss
Shark inox

That is a shame - I guess, unless a tracking number was supplied, that there's no evidence that they've posted the item? I'm not sure what other grounds there are (legally) to try and get your item or a refund but someone else might chime in with a suggestion.

Although I don't have experience with either, there's a lot of praise for the two Gillettes you have listed. The Astra SS I've found good for the once I've used it, so not a true representation of its ability. Voskhod are generally well touted and Shark are to some people's liking, but as far as I know they're a very sharp blade. I've also enjoyed using Rapira blades in the past. I would probably suggest the first two in your list on account of the following they receive from the wet shaving community.

Just got back from the post office. No sign of the razor, but add to the blade list:
Treet platinum
Feather
Wilkinson
Gillette silver blue
Asco
Astra sp
Supermax superplatinum
Derby
Personna
7 o clock yellow

Here goes nothing
5fa7ab5653df88f160a59f1c7aa89876.jpg

It's good that you have a good selection of blades because they're probably the most subjective piece of DE shaving equipment.
For me the best all rounder is the Astra SP, but you have some of my favourite blades there and others (e g Derby & Personna) I'd rather grow a beard :(
Edit: @Blademonkey said all the other stuff very well.

Here is the result :
Decent shave, quite a few weepers, and two nicks. I've seen worse but I have seen a lot better. The blade felt rough. I found myself taking long strokes at times. It is difficult to get the right angle. My cheeks are BBS. The problems are on my neck, under my nose, on my chin, and around my lips. I've done three passes and too many touch ups. That is when I've nicked myself.
If this was a mild razor, I don't even want to be near an aggressive one. I will email Edwin Jagger and see if they will help.
I've also received today 6 samples of creams and soaps. They are a little bit of a disappointment smell wise compared to the Windsor. I guess I need to try more.

Here is the result :
Decent shave, quite a few weepers, and two nicks. I've seen worse but I have seen a lot better. The blade felt rough. I found myself taking long strokes at times. It is difficult to get the right angle. My cheeks are BBS. The problems are on my neck, under my nose, on my chin, and around my lips. I've done three passes and too many touch ups. That is when I've nicked myself.
If this was a mild razor, I don't even want to be near an aggressive one. I will email Edwin Jagger and see if they will help.
I've also received today 6 samples of creams and soaps. They are a little bit of a disappointment smell wise compared to the Windsor. I guess I need to try more.

For your next shave just try 2 passes and focus on no pressure. Better to ease in and give yourself a chance to get the angle right. Once you are happy with a 2 pass shave move on to 3 passes.

You have to work at technique and good lather. The preparation and getting a good lather must not be underestimated as this leads to good glide and cushion.
Sounds like the angle needs working on. You need a shallow blade to skin angle and light pressure, which is the big difference between cartridges and DE razors. Weepers and nicks are usually caused by too much pressure and incorrect blade angle. As you have found, changes in angle are tricky and the chin and corners of the mouth usually have the toughest stubble. Touch ups should always be done on lathered areas.
Sounds like you may have been scraping the skin and hence the blade feeling rough. I attach an illustration of razor angle to assist you. Start with the cap against the skin and rotate the handle till you feel the blade engage on the skin.
shallow angle.jpg steep angle.jpg

You have to work at technique and good lather. The preparation and getting a good lather must not be underestimated as this leads to good glide and cushion.
Sounds like the angle needs working on. You need a shallow blade to skin angle and light pressure, which is the big difference between cartridges and DE razors. Weepers and nicks are usually caused by too much pressure and incorrect blade angle. As you have found, changes in angle are tricky and the chin and corners of the mouth usually have the toughest stubble. Touch ups should always be done on lathered areas.
Sounds like you may have been scraping the skin and hence the blade feeling rough. I attach an illustration of razor angle to assist you. Start with the cap against the skin and rotate the handle till you feel the blade engage on the skin.
View attachment 26697 View attachment 26698
Well put @invicta good preperation, learning your techique and finding your angle..imho these 3 rules are essential in shaving..I too have a Parker 24C and with most parker razors you need to apply a steeper angle,than you do on other DE razors "as stated" by invicta..
i carefully place the razor on to my face ,raise it until i can feel the blade on my skin, the angle is around 45 degrees, adding to that i've trained my mind to "Shave the lather from my face,rather than the stubble"..this has helped me with adding no pressure to the razor, just letting the weight of the razor & blade do the work, and me just guiding it..remember your in control of the shave, the razor is just a tool you control, not vice versa..

Once you get your angle with the Parker 24C,or any de razor infact, you'll be rewarded with some sublime shaves, just keep practicing,add no pressure, learn your tecnique & you'll experience the rewards of patience when shaving.
Regards.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom