Patina or re-chroming?

Just wondered what the preferences are with enthusiasts. I have a nice fatboy bought a year or so ago and in nice condition though with some 50 year old patina. Should i leave it original or get it re-chromed when I have some money? Something tells me a re-chroming would strip it of its vintage charm.

Just wondered what the preferences are with enthusiasts. I have a nice fatboy bought a year or so ago and in nice condition though with some 50 year old patina. Should i leave it original or get it re-chromed when I have some money? Something tells me a re-chroming would strip it of its vintage charm.
It's really down to you, if you see patina and like it then maybe leave alone but if you see plate loss and brassing and you think it looks tired then a replate may be what you are looking for. :) your call .

As @Blademonkey says the choice is yours.
If there's no plate loss it should clean up nicely with a toothbrush and toothpaste, or bicarb of soda.

Original for myself. Takes away from the character and the history of the razor. Although the history is most likely not known, but its exciting to be using a tool which is still mechanically sound and approx 50 years old.
Dont get me wrong, I love new shiny things but I do prefer aged or shine.

I've been using an ultrasonic cleaner on my vintage razors with a toothbrush scrub in between dips, amazing results.

I much prefer original condition (unless there's been a massive amount of plate loss) to a re-plate.

The original plate is zinc rather than chrome.

What may tip the balance is that AFAIK there is nobody currently actively restoring TTO razors in the UK (due to emigration and various other personal issues)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yea it has to be Chris at Razorplate if you want it done. He does an immaculate job though I hear. Otherwise a bloke in New Zealand. The Razor replate guy in the uk seems to have packed it in.

I think there is another one still here? Razor replate uk or something. Website says he is quitting for health reasons.

Back
Top Bottom