Razor case material glue?

Does anyone have a hint as to what glue would be the right one to use to tack down the cloth material in old razor cases. Specifically the 1950's Aristocrat silk? lining material?

You need to use a glue which won't be soaked up by the material so much that it permeates and discolours it, so it shouldn't be too liquid, and whatever glue you use, be very stingy with it.
I've had reasonable results with this type of repair, and on melodeon grille cloths and felt pallet facings, using Evo-Stik, or Copydex.
Evo-Stik is a strong-smelling solvent-based brownish rubbery glue, and, rather than spreading on both surfaces as the tube advises, I've used small dot(s) of glue strategically placed on the harder surface. The glue is then allowed to become touch-dry, before the two surfaces are joined, which reduces the possibility of soak-through.
Copydex is a white solvent-free adhesive "for crafts fabrics carpets and DIY", which I apply in a similar manner to the Evo-Stik i.e dot one surface, allow to touch-dry, then join.
Most of my Gillette case cloth linings are somewhat tatty anyway, but if you're worried about wrecking a good one, and you can find a way of doing so (not always easy on these small items), it really does pay to test your glue method on an inconspicuous part (or, indeed, a similar cloth scrap) before going to town on the rest.
Both these glues are readily-available in small tubes at about the £3 mark, and in larger sizes.

Back
Top Bottom