Recommend a DSLR please

Howdo,

It's probably a frequently asked question, but is there a stand-out DSLR towards the lower end of the price spectrum?

It would be mainly used for ebay listings, SotD pictures and potentially for ipad app content, plus everyday pics. Good macro ability and lenses would therefore be important. If it takes video as well, so much the better since sellers increasingly put Youtube videos to good use in demonstrating items for sale these days (hopefully not shaving gear though!).

Thanks for any pointers.

Canon EOS 70D (about a grand with bad lenses and memory cards). You are probably going to get a lot of different opinions on this one.

This is a mid range camera, comes with full wifi capabilities so straight from camera to forum.

I have a 70D and it is a great camera. However, it is worth getting it with the 18-135 STM IS lens. I have this, and I feel it is better and a lot more useful than the standard 18-55. If you want something lighter/cheaper The EOS 100D is a great camera too - my wife has that one, and she takes some great photos.

For proper 1:1 macro work, you will need a macro lens too but the 18-135 will focus down to 1.3ft, giving a decent image for reasonably sized objects - e.g.a three pin plug will fill a lot of the frame.

Both have video capability 1080p at least.

Well, he did say 'at the lower end of the scale'.
I use a Pentax K100D.
Cheap as chips on ebay.
Only a 5 or 6 mp but does a pretty good job.
Old pentax fit lenses fit it as well.
If you are going macro on a budget, can I suggest Raynox 150 or 250.

Or didn't you mean that cheap?

I have a 70D and it is a great camera. However, it is worth getting it with the 18-135 STM IS lens. I have this, and I feel it is better and a lot more useful than the standard 18-55. If you want something lighter/cheaper The EOS 100D is a great camera too - my wife has that one, and she takes some great photos.

For proper 1:1 macro work, you will need a macro lens too but the 18-135 will focus down to 1.3ft, giving a decent image for reasonably sized objects - e.g.a three pin plug will fill a lot of the frame.

Both have video capability 1080p at least.
I bought mine with the 18-135, £900 all in from john lewis with bag, above lens, memory cards, filter, lens protector etc. Great deal the 18-135 lens is excellent covers many eventualities, loving the iphone like touch screen too and using my android with the camera for remote shooting.

All helpful info, thanks gents. I didn't have any feel for what things cost now so it's been good to get the range of options. On balance, the older secondhand cameras sound good enough for the modest uses I have. Since the ipad is a small screen, the lower resolutions wouldn't be a problem there. That would free up more to put towards the lens/es. Cheers.

I bought mine with the 18-135, £900 all in from john lewis with bag, above lens, memory cards, filter, lens protector etc. Great deal the 18-135 lens is excellent covers many eventualities, loving the iphone like touch screen too and using my android with the camera for remote shooting.
Do what?
You can use your phone to trigger your camera shutter?

Right, I just popped out to see what I could find to show you the Raynox lense.
I find it really fun.
This is a little fella, about inch and a half to two inches long.
With a Raynox 150 on an 80mm lense.
It isn't the best photo in the world but I was chasing it around in the garden just for this thread.
Then I had to compress it for here as well.

Small frog TSR.jpg

The 250 gets you MUCH closer.

Right, I just popped out to see what I could find to show you the Raynox lense.
I find it really fun.
This is a little fella, about inch and a half to two inches long.
With a Raynox 150 on an 80mm lense.
It isn't the best photo in the world but I was chasing it around in the garden just for this thread.
Then I had to compress it for here as well.

View attachment 14794

The 250 gets you MUCH closer.
Thanks for that -- nice result on the little fella there :). Sounds like a good lens for the job. Will be adding some searches to my ebay...

Macro on a budget.
They attach to the front of a lens like a filter.
You can swap it around your lenses. You just need the right adapter ring.
If i remember correctly, they are a couple of pound.

Back
Top Bottom