Restored Razor

Hi there this is the latest razor that I have restored I bought it off ebay for £8.00. It wasn’t in that bad a nick however after I polished it up I dropped it and broke the tip off as you can see in the photos so I took the scales off again bread knifed “frowning blade” it then ground the blade back and put the barbers notch back into it. This took quite a bit of time as I didn’t want to get the blade hot. Then got some acrylic from the local tool shop that is used for making pens. My son then took it to school cut it into 3mm wide strips. I have a Dremel and a bench grinder with a sanding belt so I sanded it into shape then polished it. I then free hand drilled the holes for the pins went to the local model shop got some 1/16th brass rod and washers and made the pins. This is the first time I have made scales for a razor I have cleaned up about 30 razors and sharpened all of them.

Attachments

• IMG_0725.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 178
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 167
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 167
You cannot directly upload a pic from your'e PC at the moment.
Find a image hosting site (imageshack.com) upload to there and you will automatically be assigned a URL. Copy that and then paste into Insert Image which is Img (button above) If no luck PM me.

I have enable the uploading now Tony, just done a post on how to do it.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=116">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=116</a><!-- l -->

I got the material from these it is used for making pens however it is just over 5 inch long which is no good for most razors as they a re 6inch long
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.proxxon-direct.com/acatalog/info.html">http://www.proxxon-direct.com/acatalog/info.html</a><!-- m -->
Jaymac (Derby) Ltd 852 London Road Derby DE24 8WA United Kingdom
Phone: 01332 755799
Fax: 01332 752472
Email: sales [at] proxxon-direct [dot] com
I hope that Im allowed to post company names on here. These also sell proxxon stuff which is better than the stuff dremel sell.
I work just on the road from these and went in one day to buy some stuff for the razors that i restore and found it at the back of the shop I think it cost £4.00

Exile,

Don't suppose you have any pictures of the brass fittings you used? I'm about to engage in a similar project and have no idea what to ask for in a model shop! Do you mean a model railway shop?

Chris

Yep it was a model railway shop in Sheffield it is a 1/16th brass rod and washers to fit they came in a pack of 30 or so for £3.50 however only half that amount used as some are to thick to use and the brass rod was 60p there is a video on how to do it on SRP I have just ordered some washers from mirofasters in USA they took 4 days to get here and are in packs of 100 which is better value for money.

Found some of the videos you mentioned on SRP, very helpful!

Now I just need to find a model shop nearby.......

This is the first one to be done:

3723360566_4c63f471d0.jpg

Only needs a bit of polishing on the blade, but there's some rust near the top pins and the scales are completely ruined - they kins of make an 's' shape from the top :lol:

Back
Top Bottom