Slant Razors

I picked up a merkur 37c slant recently and wondered if there is a knack to this type of razor. I usually use the muhle r41 or r89 and have no issues with them.

Used the 37c with an astra blade on a week's growth the other day and felt I couldn't comfortably run it over my face due to the slanted comb. Went WTG, XTG and had a clean up ATG. Nowhere near as close a shave as with the r41. Any thoughts?

I picked up a merkur 37c slant recently and wondered if there is a knack to this type of razor. I usually use the muhle r41 or r89 and have no issues with them.

Used the 37c with an astra blade on a week's growth the other day and felt I couldn't comfortably run it over my face due to the slanted comb. Went WTG, XTG and had a clean up ATG. Nowhere near as close a shave as with the r41. Any thoughts?
I owned and used the same razor for about a year. I dont recall any need to change technique as a result of the slant. (I'm assuming that you're using the same cream/soap & blade) I think its designed to be used like any other DE. Keep practising, I'm sure you'll find the sweet spot.

Had another attempt last night. Used a different cream and had less growth to contend with. Even after going WTG, XTG and a clean up, still not getting as close as I'd like. Less irritation this time though, probably because I was being extra cautious.

I definitely feel like I have to alter my technique when using this razor, as it's not as easy to tell when the blade is at the correct angle. It also has a shorter handle and feels lighter than I'm used to.

I've found that if you alter your normal angle of attack when using a slant then you're sort of defeating the purpose of the design, which is to present the blade to each hair on an oblique, producing a guillotine effect. You can achieve a similar result with a standard DE by shaving with one corner of the blade leading the way a little. I think it was known as the Gillette glide, or maybe slide.

After shaving with an R41 I doubt any other DE razor would cut closer.
I found that the longer handled 39C, with the added weight shaved a little closer than the 37C.
A few more shaves with your 37C should see you getting closer shaves.

Most shave with the R41 at a steep blade angle so I am guessing your blade angle is too steep and a less steep angle will help. I have not had a problem with the 37C and Astra SP blades; also use GSB and Nacet blades.

Back
Top Bottom