steady now

here's a little run down of my first effort with my cut-throat.

i enjoy reading about Audios progress and thought i'd add my 2p.

in previous posts you'll see my razor and how i came to get it so i won't repeat all that, if your interested read this thread

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=365">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=365</a><!-- l -->

first off my razor is

carbon steel
11/16 width
round point
full hollow grind (Neil told me that, i didn't know)

none of this mattered when i bought it, i knew nowt then and only know a wee bit more now, i just liked the look of it at the time.

it arrived back from Neil Miller who re-formed the bevel, with tape, and honed the edge using 1000 - 2000 - 5000 - 10,000 - 16,000 grit stones

it passed a Hanging Hair Test (borrowed the wife's head for that)
so i went for it.

if you read the various advice written for people starting with a cut-throat it says to just do your cheeks first for a while till you get confident.
but after watching this guy
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U</a><!-- m -->
i just had a go to see how i got on.

i used Tabac soap and my Vulfix 404 mix brush.

i decided to use Tabac as it gives you one of the best lathers, i have DRH but not used it yet so i wanted to stick with something i knew worked, or so i thought :eek:

i hadn't shaved for about 4-5 days so had a decent stubble, but i'm no Desperate Dan either mind.

stropped the blade before doing my prep, managed to knick the strop a couple of times :oops:
:lol: -i can here Neil laughing from Essex

lathered up and went for it
i'm right-handed so started with my right cheek, side boards down.
first awkward thing, getting a decent view in the mirror.
either couldn't see for the blade or my arms :roll:
getting the blade angle was pretty easy, keep it flat and tilt it out when coming down 'til it cuts.
me thinks things are going well.

time for the left cheek

don't know about you lot but all my left arm/hand is for is carrying a round, steadying a pool/snooker cue and keeping me balanced
tried using my right but that proved even worse, guess i'll just have to learn.

cut a long story short, i managed to do a pass on the whole of my face without any cuts :D
doing my kneck was really awkward to see in the mirror, i got sore eyes very quickly.

re-lathered and did another 2 passes WTG and finished with Alum and Tabac a/s.
i did have a couple of cuts on the next 2 passes so i'm not a natural at this

a couple of things i noted

my lather was drying out before i was finishing my passes, so i either took ages or i'm not as good at making it as i thought.
cleaning the blade between passes i had to wipe it between my fingers as the taps are close to the bowl in the sink and i don't want to damage the blade edge, but i've got one of these coming
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.winkelplein.nu/barbershopsuply/default.asp?page=detail&Id=470253&sid=Chy3Bp4DO6MW8oTKkDy8vzzyOSgkls">http://www.winkelplein.nu/barbershopsup ... vzzyOSgkls</a><!-- m -->

for a starter razor i wouldn't get anything wider than a 5/8 and it would be a 1/2 hollow grind

i think that's all for now

cheers

Nicley done using the razor left handed will come with time. I think that you did great for your first time with a straight. I use clean running water to clean my razor when done I dry it with the towel then use toilet paper to finish off and use a cotton bud down between the scales and aroung the pivot pin. Then I strop it cotton side 20 laps then leather 30 laps (I do this to make sure that there is no water on the edge)then use camellia oil to coat it then put it on display in the bathroom till it drys out fully then away it goes. I have had an edge go rusty because I cut my self and didnt clean the edge as well as I should have. This lesson was one of the first I learned that you have to really look after them or they are off for a hone more then they need to be.

Exile

The thickness of the lather will always be an issue. Adding more water to the soap would probably improve the lather. Alternatively, lather half a face then lather the other! Best o' luck!

I know this is probably sacrilage, but when practising shaving with a cut-throat would it not make sense to use a clear gel or shaving oil? I would have thought it would be essential to be able to see the skin and its contours at all times. Paul at Connaught included a gel sample in with the P160 group-buy that was pretty good. Dermalogica do an expensive shave oil thingy. I expect there are many others.

Just an idea. Thought I'd be sensible for a change!! :oops:

just as well i'm sitting down PC, the shock of you talking sense buckled my knees :shock:

i would agree with you if i had to keep a goatee or such like but it might be worth a try, you never know ;)

Yep, a wet flannel works great for wiping the blade clean. You might need to add a little water to your lather. A lot of straight shavers say it's better to have a more "soupy" lather than when shaving with a DE. When lather dries out on my face, I just dip the brush tip in the water and swirl on the dried out area. Good to go again! :D

the flannel worked a treat :D

a few more wee knicks than before but still a pretty decent effort.

the Tabac lasted longer this time as i thinned it out more, it takes quite a bit before it becomes too runny.

i never knew Alum could sting as much :shock: :eek: :lol:

the Alums doing a good enough job that i haven't needed the styptic - yet!

but if you really want pain use Ammonium Alum (PitRok deodorant) :shock:

Back
Top Bottom