Voskhod blades.

I just had my first shave with a Voskhod blade in a Muhle R41, what an unbelievably awful experience it was for me, absolute agony and terrible to boot. In the end i gave up trying to get a decent shave out of it and stuck in a Gillette silver blue to do a fourth pass.

Now looking around the internet these blades seem quite highly regarded, so what the hell happened for me? I've only used four different types of blade so far, Personna (okay but not great), Feather (fantastic), Gillette silver blue (on par with a feather but slightly longer lasting) and the Voskhod (enough said already!).

Does anyone reckon it may be worth persavering and trying them again? maybe a duff blade? or just chalk it up to not for me and move on?

Voskhod blades are a go to for me but as with all things no one blade suits all. If they are uncomfortable then swap them out as you did. No point making a pleasurable experience into a poor one. Stick with a blade that suits. In another razor they may shine so try one in a milder razor before getting rid of them.

Voskhod blades work for me also,as do most russian made blades, but we all have different skin types,and we have to experiment with the assortment of blades on offer to find the ones that, are suited to use.
I find that that non-aggressive blades work well in aggressive razors,and vice versa..you may also want to try and hand strop the blades before you use tham, to take any hidden burrs from the blade edges before you use them.
Regards.

Last edited:
Does anyone reckon it may be worth persavering and trying them again? maybe a duff blade? or just chalk it up to not for me and move on?
I like to use a tuck before coming to a premature conclusion so keep using them. It may also not be a good match for you in the Muhle R41. Have you another razor to try it in?

Re-visited these today in my Braveheart razor, hand stropped as above before loading up, and night and day compared to my last attempt, so at least i won't have to bin them or give them away but i still haven't found one blade that tops the Feathers for me.

Voskhods work for me in my slants; I don't remember ever having a good shave with the R41, no matter which blade I used. The same razor with a different blade will give completely different shaves, from a subjective point of view.

It is all so subjective, I find the shave from the R41 to be sublime, with a Feather blade at least.

Just tried a Voskhod and while it felt like a terrible shave every time the results weren't actually that bad! Why does it feel so...crap....though? Is it me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom