What elements are part of "post shave feel"?

I'm a bit vague about "post shave feel". I just have a subjective impression of "feels good" or not, and I don't break it down into "drying" or "leaves a filmy residue" or other terms I've read in threads. For me the scent lingering is an important part, but that's not really "feel on the face".

What are the usual elements that make up this "post shave feel" thing?

As you've already stated, the drying or moisturising aspects and whether there are any ill-effects or other notable side-effects such as the oily residues or similar. I.e. you've pretty well summarised your answer within your question!

There may be people who take a more involved approach as to whether it dries the face, dries the neck (as the skin often behaves differently) whether any left-over hair is dry/moisturised/oily, whether there's a sheen left or a more matte appearance, whether there is any residues (oily/powdery/none), whether there is any discomfort or visible irritation, whether it causes breakouts or contributes to acne, whether it helps alleviate weepers... though that is a far more pedantic approach than most (myself included) takes.

I tend to use an aftershave or balm after shaving and most days otherwise I'll use a moisturiser so post-shave feel, as long as it's not uncomfortable, is mostly moot.

When my skin is feeling dry after shaving, often it is true for the face as a whole forehead and nose and area around eyes included, so judging post shave feel of shaving soap may not be a straightforward task

Back
Top Bottom