Where does the money actually go in your hobby?

Where does the money actually go in your shaving life?
- razors
- blades
- brushes
- soaps and creams
- AS and scents
- other....

In my case I have spent about 10 times more on artisan soaps than on razors. I could have bought a titanium razor for what I've spent!

So I'd be interested to know - where does the money actually go? And is it where you think it goes?

Last edited:
depends where you are are on your journey - for me, at the beginning it was razors and soaps, then I begin to stockpile blades - soon brushed begin to attract my attention, then edts :)

I've spent the most on razors though especially on the asd2

i have enough of everything so its just soaps now - i've exhausted the desire for new hardware

Straight razors & to a lesser extent brushes

Every straight is as individual as the makers signature, love trying new grinds, different steels from different countries.

I have spent some money on a couple of Shavemac & recently a Paladin brush, worth every penny IMO, I do enjoy them.

I used to have a vintage DE addiction which proved quite expensive for a time.

I also went through a brush buying phase (Simpsons, Morris and Forndran).

I stockpiled so many blades and so much soap that I haven't actually bought anything shaving related for over two years!

I will probably run out of soaps in about six months and am quite looking forward to having an excuse to buy something new.

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't really buy much these days,my only spend goes on software for here really :D
Saying that I did get a nice tuxedo Yaqi sent to me in Japan as I forgot to take a brush. I guess stockpiling a lot at the start helps later! I do wish I had bought a lot mor Kai blades back in the day. Anyone got a decent supplier?

Almost a year in, my money has been quite spread out across everything, I don’t feel the urge to buy loads of one particular thing. I don’t mind some rotation for variety but don’t feel the need to have so much stuff that it’s 2 months before getting to a certain brush in my rotation, for example. Before long I might add in one more brush and one more cream, but I don’t plan on going berserk buying stuff

Razors, initially ... then brushes ... then soaps.

My collection is more a collection for the sake of completion than for shaving. I became fascinated with the 1912 and collected every variant I could find and although I have used them all, would only reach for one of maybe 5 or 6 that would be used regularly. That collection spreads to maybe 150 razors. I have a pretty complete collection of Gillette Tech variants, although nowhere near all sets. That would account for probably another 50 razors. So, if we estimate £15 per razor, there's maybe £3000 in razors!

Brushes and soaps are nowhere near as obsessive :)

Smellies, by a country mile, but this is something I've been 'into' since getting my first bottles of Kouros, Antaeus and Aramis 900 back in the very early 80s.

I still browse Basenotes and Fragrantica to see what's new and then go to First in Fragrance to get samples. Some of the ones I've tried have been £10 per ml.

If money was no object, I'd easily blow £20k on stuff that's tickled my fancy down the years without blinking.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk