Would this make a good purchase?

Hi guys,

I haven't mastered DE yet and am already thinking about straights. Totally getting ahead of myself but I spotted this and the lady selling it lives a stone's throw away from me and said I can pick it up as it would be easier for her. I don't want to mess her about and said I'd get back to her quickly.

I tend to go for the best I can afford but couldn't help spot this rather good value straight:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll</a><!-- m -->? ... 2759.l1259

Would this be the same razor as reviewd here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyril-Salter-St" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyril-Salter-St</a><!-- m --> ... B00278IEDS

I have a sand-paper like beard and recently had to chuck a de blade after just 2 uses :(
Should I stay away from this? Or would it make a VERY GOOD entry to straights?
Is it the 'merklur HD' in the straights world ?

Thank you very much

I'm no expert on straights. I suspect the razor would be fine to use but bear in mind the following. It probably won't be shave ready. It will need to be honed either by yourself or ask someone here to do it for you. You will also need a strop as it will need stropping everytime you use it. The bottom line is that you will need additional equipment/service in order to use this.

Hi Sonny

There are lots of straight razors for sale that would fit the bill as a new starter. Neil on this forum sells them on ebay all the time and they will come shave ready or go to SRP and buy one off there. Like already said you will need a strop to keep an edge on it. Neil’s strops look fantastic from the photos that I have seen on the bay Colin has both a razor and a strop from Neil and rates them both very highly.

Graham

Thanks Graham.

If one becomes a master at using Straights, are they considered to be sharper and smoother than a DE?

Thanks

Hi Sonny

I used to use a Gillette Contor for the age of 16 till about a year ago (I’m 42) then I used safety razors for a bit and got a lot better shave then I went to straights and have been using them for the last 6 to 8 months. I can honestly say that I now get a better more comfortable shave using a straight then I ever did using any other razor. The only time I get an uncomfortable shave is if I have restored a straight and honed it and it’s not quite there (shave ready) it takes the whiskers off but it drags a bit so I go back to the hones finish it then nice and comfortable shaves again.
Hope this helps

Graham

Exile said:
Hi Sonny

I used to use a Gillette Contor for the age of 16 till about a year ago (I’m 42) then I used safety razors for a bit and got a lot better shave then I went to straights and have been using them for the last 6 to 8 months. I can honestly say that I now get a better more comfortable shave using a straight then I ever did using any other razor. The only time I get an uncomfortable shave is if I have restored a straight and honed it and it’s not quite there (shave ready) it takes the whiskers off but it drags a bit so I go back to the hones finish it then nice and comfortable shaves again.
Hope this helps

Graham

That's brillitant. Thanks Graham

I will try and get my hands on a cheap Shavette (£10-£20) before going onto a straight. I'm many months away from mastering DE shaving technique, but at the back of my mind, I think there has to be something better out there and I am wasting my time with this. DE is an improvement over the sensor excel, but not a massive one. The improvements appear to be in the lovely creams and soaps. Don't get me wrong, I love my blue, long-handles merkur, but i'm beginning to think the straights are a better system.

Straights:

Cheaper
Sharper
Less fiddly
creams/soaps as per DE
Easier to clean?

Only major problem i can see, and it's a big one, is manoeuvering thatbig blade! Especially because of the various contours on my face and neck + i'm not the patient type !

Hi Sonny,

I don't know much about Shavettes, but I know a bit about straights. If you are a bit apprehensive about manoeuvering a naked blade, you need to consider a round point (I'm not sure if shavettes have round points) rather than a square or spike point (one with a right - 90 degree - angle of the side up against the cutting edge) or you risk nicking yourself a lot - a round edge is much more forgiving. The blade mustn't be too flexible either - it needs to be a bit solid - the ultra-flexible blades are difficult to use straight off - you 'grow' into them. For £20 quid you could get a reasonably performing straight (not too cosmetically good-looking, but up to snuff for shaving) so that's something to think about before you part with your hard-earned cash.

All the Best,
Neil

Cheers Neil. There's a DOVO shavette that I am hoping to secure for a tenner, just to get use to the 'hand motion' of shaving with straight. I'm guessing it's similar.

If I miss out, I will go to straights.

Had another bad shave. I think that's 5 in a row now. Taking my time, kyles prep, shaving after a shower. Tried everything in the book. Shouldn't be my technique because I've had much better shaves before when i was going much faster. Last night I used Trumpers Almond - terrible for me. Also tried a Feather because I thought a sharper blade would handle my tough, dense hair. I was wrong. It can certainly cut but it left my face red. no cuts at all. Nice and sharp but for some reason my face was super red. Weird. My blade angle was good but it wasn't a smoothe shave with the feather. That's the 2nd time that's happened.

I need to find a smoothe blade and a very cushioning cream/soap. Next on the list to try: either tabac/MWF soaps or TOBS Avocado.

Sonny, have you tried adding a few drops of glycerin to the shaving cream? Some people swear by it - you can get it in the supermarket near the food colouring and cake stuff. I have also read about people using hair conditioner before lathering-up - to soften the beard, presumably. Might be worth a try, especially if it gives you that "When Harry Met Sally" effect like the Herbal Essence one supposedly does....

Regards,
Neil

haha. yeah, i might have to try it. I have a engagement tomorrow. I will try it before then. can't see no major probs in trying conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom