1000 Blade pack question

Shipwrecked said:
IMP I can't see the point of hoarding, I buy 100 at a time.

Suppose you're using "blade X" and getting low you go to buy more and find they're either no longer available or they relocated production to somewhere else and totally changed the blade - after you spent 3 years finding "the" blade or blades that suit you... This production cease or relocation happened to me at least 6 times in as many months. Certainly wasn't happening the 7th.

You have a very valid point.
Jim

Garbe said:
TBH this hobbie is not about saving money, initially I decided to go DE because cartridges were getting ridiculously expensive. However, since starting DE, I've definitely spent far more in a year than I would have sticking to cartridges for the next 10.

I don't really care because shaving has become an experience I look forward to and not the chore it was. and I really enjoy the different soaps, nanny's, cella, arko, different blades and razors.

I have 300 or more blades, but the fun is in trying different blades, soaps and razors.

I bought 100 perma sharp blades because I loved them, smooth sharp and good longevity. However I then tried some Gillette thins which were better following which I was piffed some Gillette platinum which are better still.

The point I'm getting to is there's always going to be a better blade so investing in 100 maybe too many let alone 1000.

I agree fully...shaving is a hobby for me too......a thing that I look forward to now and not loathe.

I've got about 300 / 400 GEM SEs in a Tupperware box sitiing quietly in a cupboard. Can't see any prob with deterioration in any forseeable time situation. Being a pensioner there's not gr8 mileage in my stacking the house out with kit. The half dozen MB soap, together with the 2 Prof B soaps I bought a month or so ago may well see my time out.
Only minor point I'd suggest about buying blades by the 1,000 is the temptation you'll maybe have to use a new blade more frequently than you may have. But, at the cost of an individual blade is that really going to be a major concern.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Shipwrecked said:
Shipwrecked said:
IMP I can't see the point of hoarding, I buy 100 at a time.

Suppose you're using "blade X" and getting low you go to buy more and find they're either no longer available or they relocated production to somewhere else and totally changed the blade - after you spent 3 years finding "the" blade or blades that suit you... This production cease or relocation happened to me at least 6 times in as many months. Certainly wasn't happening the 7th.

You have a very valid point.
Jim

definately agree with this point frmo the prospective of someone who has be DE shaving for sometime. their technique has devoloped, to the point of knowing exactly which blade works well.

From my propective, I'm relatively new to DE, so have spent the last 7-8 months trying different blades.

My technique has also improved during this time, which has probably also contributed to blade preference. It may explain me finding Perma sharp, being superceded by Gillette Thins and Gillette Platinums.

I take the point on board though, I'm going to spend a few weeks using my 'favourites' and then invest in the ones Ilike best - don't want to be without a few years down the line or even a few months judging by what you guys have said above.

thanks for the heads up

My favourite blades so far are Gillette 365, Superthin, and WS Classic. I still have a few sample blades to get through - 7 o'clock yellows and greens, Astras, Treet, and a few others.

When I run low, I'll probably get 50 Gillette 365s, 25 Superthins, and 25 of a number 3 brand yet to be favoured. Also, 20 WS Classics and 20 Personnas from the highstreet shops.

I'm not sure if I would want 1000 blades, but you can always swap some of them.

Hax said:
Before anyone commits to buying in bulk, they should make sure that they have tried the black, Indian Gillette Platinum blades (IMHO)

Could you possibly post a pic of the pack or a link to a seller, so I know what they look like, for research porpoises of course :icon_rolleyes:

tadpole said:
If you're considering these, 1000 for £60:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-ASTRA-PLATINUM-DOUBLE-EDGE-BLADE-SPECIAL-OFFER-/190631903182?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item2c628bffce

Be careful. The seller is in Turkey, outside of the EU, you will be liable to VAT and customs charges which can make it more expensive than buying 10 lots of 100 from the same seller at £7.75 (providing he posts them all seperately rather than in the same box):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-ASTRA-DOUBLE-EDGE-SAFETY-RAZOR-BLADES-CHEAPEST-/190631903566?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item2c628c014e

Storage, they'll be fine, stick them in the back of a cupboard. Just get a tupperware box with a rubber seal if you're worried.

Toodles

The rules are slightly different for Turkey regarding tax being paid see 4.4 http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P192_19193

But perhaps someone can say how much this affects the amount you pay if you are over the £15 limit ?

Northam Saint said:
But perhaps someone can say how much this affects the amount you pay if you are over the £15 limit ?

Simple. 20% VAT (on the declared value plus postage affixed unless there's an invoice enclosed saying "free postage" - HMRC don't go looking so you have to pay and claim back) plus £8 handling fee to Royal Mail (which you can only claim back if you get the VAT down to 0 and have to claim separately).

So if declared properly £12 VAT, £8 to RM - £60 becomes £80.

Back
Top Bottom