Aftershave/Cologne Product Placement In Films/TV

FJY

Hi Everyone!

I just thought that I would create this thread for a bit of fun.

You guys can all probably think of countless examples of aftershave or cologne being used on screen in films or in TV shows. Maybe it's my age-addled memory, but I am having a hard time thinking of many of those instances. The three that instantly come to my mind I have listed below:

1) In Only Fools And Horses, Del Boy is often seen applying or making references to Brut. It seems as though this is mostly concerning the aftershave, rather than the deodorant form of Brut. This is one of the most obvious examples of product placement in a long-running TV sitcom that I can think of.

2) In Live and Let Die (1973), James Bond, played by Roger Moore, is seen torching a snake using an improvised flamethrower. This consists of his lit cigar and what appears to be a can of Brut deodorant. It is never made clear that it actually is Brut, but the distinctive Brut can is identifiable by its lettering and green colour.

3) In Home Alone (1990), Kevin McCallister, played by Macaulay Culkin, is seen splashing on Brut aftershave after he has just had a shower. You can easily see the word BRUT on the bottle when we get a close-up of it. This famous scene and his reaction is one of the most best-known scenes in this comedy.

I was hoping that some of you guys could come up with some alternative examples of aftershave/cologne product placement in films/TV. It's over to you....

Hi Everyone!

You guys can all probably think of countless examples of aftershave or cologne being used on screen in films or in TV shows. Maybe it's my age-addled memory, but I am having a hard time thinking of many of those instances. The three that instantly come to my mind I have listed below:

1) In Only Fools And Horses, Del Boy is often seen applying or making references to Brut. It seems as though this is mostly concerning the aftershave, rather than the deodorant form of Brut. This is one of the most obvious examples of product placement in a long-running TV sitcom that I can think of.

2) In Live and Let Die (1973), James Bond, played by Roger Moore, is seen torching a snake using an improvised flamethrower. This consists of his lit cigar and what appears to be a can of Brut deodorant. It is never made clear that it actually is Brut, but the distinctive Brut can is identifiable by its lettering and green colour.

3) In Home Alone (1990), Kevin McCallister, played by Macaulay Culkin, is seen splashing on Brut aftershave after he has just had a shower. You can easily see the word BRUT on the bottle when we get a close-up of it. This famous scene and his reaction is one of the most best-known scenes in this comedy.

I was hoping that some of you guys could come up with some alternative examples of aftershave/cologne product placement in films/TV. It's over to you....

That just goes to show that BRUT is the best aftershave/deodorant ever in the history of smelly things. (y):LOL:

007 used the 1964 Gillette Slim (of which I have a nice example) but I have no idea what splash he used in Goldfinger but in Moonraker Floris 89 gets a mention. Apparently Ian Fleming himself liked Floris, whereas Gillette was total commercial paid placement.

Last edited:
007 used the 1964 Gillette Slim (of which I have a nice example) but I have no idea what splash he used.

I don't recall Bond ever using any splashes in any of the films. The closest he came to that was when he sprayed some of the Brut on his hands and splashed that on his face in Live And Let Die.

If I recall correctly, the Bond of the Fleming novels was quite disparaging towards scent and the people who wore it. He made these comments in several of the books.

007 used the 1964 Gillette Slim (of which I have a nice example) but I have no idea what splash he used in Goldfinger but in Moonraker Floris 89 gets a mention. Apparently Ian Fleming himself liked Floris, whereas Gillette was total commercial paid placement.

Yea, I am James Bond,. My name is James and have a 1964 Gillette slim and have Gillette blades,
I wear cool suits and have a great relationship with moneypenny. :love::oops:(y)

I don't recall Bond ever using any splashes in any of the films. The closest he came to that was when he sprayed some of the Brut on his hands and splashed that on his face in Live And Let Die.

If I recall correctly, the Bond of the Fleming novels was quite disparaging towards scent and the people who wore it. He made these comments in several of the books.
Doesn't Bond use Eucris in one (or more) of the shows (or books)?

That just goes to show that BRUT is the best aftershave/deodorant ever in the history of smelly things. (y):LOL:
30 years ago, I would probably have agreed with you. Brut used to be my "go to" aftershave and deodorant when I was much younger. These days, though, I have much more expensive tastes.

Hi Everyone!

In The Day of the Jackal, the eponymous character smuggles hair dye and bleach through customs in two Old Spice a/s bottles.

cheers - I.

In the film "Carry On Loving", there's a bedroom scene featuring Sid James and Joan Sims' characters. At the start of the scene, Sid is seen splashing on aftershave to try and woo Joan. There is no obvious writing on the bottle, but there is a logo that looks vaguely familiar. I wonder if any fellow TSR posters know this scene and can tell me the name of this "mystery" aftershave? I don't expect that I'll get many responses to this post (if any at all), but thanks in advance for your input.

FJY

Back
Top Bottom